🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer deadline up, and always at Skype, ...
Page options
573cf604
Community Member

Freelancer deadline up, and always at Skype, asking for ETH!

Hello,

I had started a gig with a Freelancer on June 11, we had a zoom meeting. we talked about for 2 weeks and I clearly told them that I wanted to get it done on June 26. Now they did a Demo with me few days ago and kindly asked me to pay $5,200. which is okay based on the initial quote we talked about but, I realized  Ican't pay that, I have to do it using "Bonus" so that's what I did.

One thing that I don't really like about is they are using Skype to communicate with me, not at Upwork. They said that they have some team members that can't use Upwork and that's why they are communicating outside. I'm pretty sure that is against the terms of services.

Now because I am asking them to create a bot for cryptocurrency, they are asking for Ethereum for testing. I find it ridiculous and feeling it's a scam, so I told them they have to do something at their end coz I'm not going to give away my ETH. I need help.

3 REPLIES 3
JoanneP

Hi Jay,

Please know that communication outside of Upwork before a contract is placed is a violation of Upwork TOS. I encourage you to check this announcement here.  I can see that you already have an open ticket regarding this issue. One of our agents will update your ticket and assist you further. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

Jay, I can assure you that you do not need any help from Upwork Customer Support in order to manage your project and the freelancers you hire.

You have all the tools that you need at your fingertips. You can ask for advice as often as you want right here in the Forum.

You do not need to communicate with freelancers via Skype if you don't want to.

Communicating via Skype is allowed as long as you have officially hired the freelancer. You may use any communication tools you choose with clients you have hired.

If you don't want to work with Ethereum, you don't have to.

The most important tool you have is the ability to fire freelancers.

You say that you feel this freelancer is scamming you? Why are you continuing to pay this freelancer?

But don't assume they are scamming you just because you don't understand something. Maybe they are doing great work. Maybe they are totally trying to scam you. Consider their work carefully. If you do not understand it, hire other freelancers to evaluate the work and give you a response.

If you hire a freelancer who doesn't provide you with great value then you should fire him. You should only work with the best freelancers that you hire.

Finally, remember that refund thinking hurts clients. In order to save time and money, I recommend that you decide now that you will never try to get a refund from a freelancer. Instead, plan to monitor each freelancer's work and close the contract on underperforming freelancers.

jr-translation
Community Member

Jay P wrote:

Hello,

I had started a gig with a Freelancer on June 11, we had a zoom meeting. we talked about for 2 weeks and I clearly told them that I wanted to get it done on June 26. Now they did a Demo with me few days ago and kindly asked me to pay $5,200. which is okay based on the initial quote we talked about but, I realized  Ican't pay that, I have to do it using "Bonus" so that's what I did.

One thing that I don't really like about is they are using Skype to communicate with me, not at Upwork. They said that they have some team members that can't use Upwork and that's why they are communicating outside. I'm pretty sure that is against the terms of services.

Now because I am asking them to create a bot for cryptocurrency, they are asking for Ethereum for testing. I find it ridiculous and feeling it's a scam, so I told them they have to do something at their end coz I'm not going to give away my ETH. I need help.

Did you hire an individual or an agency?
Is it a fixed rate or hourly job?
Have you been informed that there will be people working on your project who are not on Upwork before you send the offer?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths