🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer locked excel file
Page options
aea9f180
Community Member

Freelancer locked excel file

I did a job more than a year ago to get an excel file created.

The freelancer completed the job but had locked some features for obvious reasons that I don't make mistakes.

I've never needed to edit the file but now i do and realised that he never gave me the password for the file.

He is now being funny to release the password for obvious reasons.

Can upwork help? or what else can I do?

I've told him to release pwd after which I need him to edit for a fee but I'm certain he will not reply. **edited for Community Guidelines**

9 REPLIES 9
JoanneP

Hi there,

Please share the contract ID so we can check this for you. Thank you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
aea9f180
Community Member

Here it is: 21721159

tta192
Community Member

If the job was done that long ago the freelancer may be unable to help now - he may have lost or not remember the password. If he does have it you must be very clear you are willing to pay for this service.

Even if you were supposed to receive the password when he first delivered the file, you were both responsible to check the deliverables for completeness - you cannot expect unlimited time for that.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Do not ask Upwork to help you.

Do not talk to the original freelancer about this is if he is asking for money.

Handle this yourself.

Google "unprotect Excel spreadsheet"

yitwail
Community Member

Express D wrote:

The freelancer completed the job but had locked some features for obvious reasons that I don't make mistakes.

I've never needed to edit the file but now i do and realised that he never gave me the password for the file.

For future reference, locking it is NOT an obvious reason for preventing you from mistakes. All you or he had to do was make a backup copy before you started editing it. It's more likely he didn't give you a password so he could get more payment from you when you need to make changes. This is what passes as job security for some people.

So true..... but it kind of defeats the purpose cos many people come onto upwork looking for skilled freelancers cos they obviously don't have the skill or might be completely beginner at it. Someone like a beginner will be taken for a ride till he realises what hes got himself into. The guy that did my job was good at it and I am in touch with him but hes saying he has lost the pwd. I did indicate that i'm ready to pay a fee.

On other cases the freelancer purposely will try to cheat you but not releasing the pwd intentionally because you did not ask for it. Such intention is not correct and hence as a client such a case should be looked into by upwork and feedback changed accordingly. Obviously I dont expect the freelancer to know the pwd after 3-6 months.

This is just my opinion so i'm stating it.

aea9f180
Community Member

I'll just have to find another freelancer to redo this file and import the data. As for the previous freelancer its end of business from me.

Its something that the freelancer does day in day out so he should know better that he should have provided the pwd during the job process. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi there,

I am sorry for the late response. One of our team members already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Express D wrote:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Or, as a **Edited for Community Guidelines**

As Preston pointed out, you can easily unlock the file yourself or pay someone a handful of Dollars to unlock it. No big deal.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths