🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancers asking for better ratings
Page options
2f42b17c
Community Member

Freelancers asking for better ratings

My first and only job I posted was handled well.  But my freelancer is unhappy with the 4.8 rating I gave.  The freelancer states that anything less than 5.0 is considered a bad review and I will harm their reputation.  I personally think that is a great rating and I only gave him a 4 star in one category and 5s in all the others.  Is the freelancer right about this?  If so, why doesn't Upwork manage this issue?

9 REPLIES 9
spectralua
Community Member

Freelancer right about this. You dropped his rating with that. From 100 to 96 if freelancer have not much jobs. Did you leaved private feedback not 10\10 also? It will harm their reputation more.

Upwork won't manage this, them don't care about.

But freelancer cannot ask you for 5 feedback, it is rules violation. You can report it if want.

That's ridiculous. I had a 4.1 rating once on a decent-sized job and it dropped my JSS by 1 point.

189fec12
Community Member

Hi Malena,

Congratulations on the successful completion of your first job! It is usually very difficult for new clients to find a good freelancer.

About ratings, yes 4.8 rating is great yet freelancer is right about impact of rating on JSS(Job Success Score) but he cannot force you to give 5 star ratings. 

Also, an honest review could help other clients while hiring that certain freelancers so don't change the ratings if you think you have rated his services perfectly.

Tanzeela A.

It is usually very difficult for new clients to find a good freelancer.

Why do you say that?

Also, an honest review could help other clients while hiring that certain freelancers so don't change the ratings if you think you have rated his services perfectly.

Yes, excellent advice. It's so important to have accurate reviews.

the-right-writer
Community Member

The client should not be discussing the reviews with the freelancer. It is unprofessional and can lead to feedback manipulation, a violation of the Term of Service.

No, the freelancer is wrong, and is trying to manipulate you.

Upwork has nothing to do with ratings. The public ratings, the ones you see, have little to nothing to do with the JSS. The private feedback is hidden for both sides.

A 4.8 rating is quite good. The freelancer is wrong about the repercussions, and I believe is doing it intentionally, so you will give a falsely inflated score. A "5" should be for stellar work, above and beyond. Unfortunately, feedback manipulation turns into reviews, which leads other clients to use the freelancers who are trying to fake their way to 100% JSS. Let them earn it like the rest of us.

Do not be intimidated or worry you are harming the freelancer. Personally, I would be very unhappy with attempted manipulation, again it is a TOS violation. Don't change a thing. If you gave honest feedback, then it's important to other clients to show it. Only excellent work, beyond the job description, should be considered for a perfect score.

lysis10
Community Member

The only thing that matters is the 1-10 rating you gave him. Netpromoter says 9-10 are the only good ones.

williamtcooper
Community Member

Malena,

Supposedly 4.8 is the average rating on this site. If you think the freelancer was average for Upwork, then the Review was appropriate.

According to whom?

tlsanders
Community Member

Your freelancer is fortunate you are patient. If I were in your shoes, I would agree to change the rating and then explain in the review that the freelancer had harassed me to change feedback. 

What your freelancer is telling you is nonsense. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths