🐈
» Forums » Clients » Getting refund from cancelled job
Page options
7d39f6cd
Community Member

Getting refund from cancelled job

I cancelled a job, but didn't get prompted for a refund. How do I get a refund for a job that never started?

22 REPLIES 22
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I cancelled a job, but didn't get prompted for a refund. How do I get a refund for a job that never started?"

You don't necessarily get a refund for cancelling a job.

If this is an hourly contract, and you close the job, then there is no refund.

If this is a fixed-rate contract and you already released all money in escrow, or if no milestone was ever funded, then there would be no refund. (Although off the top of my head, I'm not sure if you CAN set up a fixed-price contract without a funded milestone...)

If this was is a fixed-price contract and you funded a milestone, then you can only close the contract by:

- releasing all the funded escrow money to the freelancer

or

- creating a request for a refund - a request that will go to the freelancer

The freelancer will be the one to decide whether or not to grant the refund request. If the freelancer allows the refund, all the money will be returned to you in about 5 business days.

Hey Preston H,

I had a fixed-rate contract with a freelancer. The money was released in escrow, no milestone was funded. The freelancer and i determined that a different contract entirely would work out better for the both of us so the freelancer cancelled the contract. It now shows that there in no money in escrow but my remaining balence is $250.00 (The amount we agreed on in the beginning of the contract). How do i get the money back in my account in order to move into a new contract? I didnt receive any message about getting money back due to a cancelled contract.

petra_r
Community Member

Mark M wrote:

I had a fixed-rate contract with a freelancer. The money was released in escrow, no milestone was funded. The freelancer and i determined that a different contract entirely would work out better for the both of us so the freelancer cancelled the contract. 

It goes back to your payment method automatically, which takes up to 5 or so business days.

If you want to be nice to your freelancer, you pay them an amount of $ 1+ as otherwise the "nothing paid" contract will deal a real blow to your freelancer's metrics (Job Success Score)

34e273b9
Community Member

Oh no! wow i didnt know thatll effect him negitively. He didnt know either since hes the one who cancelled. Hes great so i wouldnt want that to happen. Thank you for your speedy response!

petra_r
Community Member

Mark M wrote:

Oh no! wow i didnt know thatll effect him negitively. He didnt know either since hes the one who cancelled. Hes great so i wouldnt want that to happen. Thank you for your speedy response!

All you have to do to stop the issue is pay a bonus on the cancelled job, just a small amount of at least $ 1 will be enough, and all will be well.

Thanks for caring enough to do so 🙂

34e273b9
Community Member

Absolutly will do! thanks for the feedback

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Michael, 

I checked your account and it doesn't look like you started any contract with any freelancer just yet. Posting a job doesn't charge anything to your payment method. You may read these resources we have compiled to help you get started on the platform as a client. Let us know if you have other questions!

~ Avery
Upwork
6136ae7a
Community Member

Hi Avery, 

I'm still new to Upwork payment on these term. I've sent freelancer an offers and it is yet to accepted by freelancer,I paid to my financial account as I have to make payment first in order to hire. As there is no contract created (pending for freelancer to accept), I should say there is no payment release. My question now, will I or will I not get any refund in the event the project is cancelled? The money will be holding in the financial account and can be use for next project? 

Thanks!

@Avery O wrote:

Hi Michael, 

I checked your account and it doesn't look like you started any contract with any freelancer just yet. Posting a job doesn't charge anything to your payment method. You may read these resources we have compiled to help you get started on the platform as a client. Let us know if you have other questions!

@Lim Y wrote:

Hi Avery, 

I'm still new to Upwork payment on these term. I've sent freelancer an offers and it is yet to accepted by freelancer,I paid to my financial account as I have to make payment first in order to hire. As there is no contract created (pending for freelancer to accept), I should say there is no payment release. My question now, will I or will I not get any refund in the event the project is cancelled? The money will be holding in the financial account and can be use for next project? 

Thanks!

@Avery O wrote:

Hi Michael, 

Lim, if a freelancer declines your offer (or you withdraw it) the funds will be returned to you. You can't (generally) have money sitting unallocated in your client account.

Hi Avery. I cancelled a job because the project was not needed anymore. No one was hired, no one was contracted. How can i get the escrow amount back to use for other job posting?
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kevin, 

This will be credited back to the client within 3-5 days.

~ Avery
Upwork

I cancelled a job because the freelancer never responded to my messages. No one was hired, no one was contracted. How can i get the escrow amount back to use for other job posting.

Thanks.

Carolyn,

The refund should show on your payment method within 5 days and you can make a different offer.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hey , I can not activate new milestone and it is written inactive. Why is that? Can you check that, please?

Hi Petar,

I checked but could not replicate the issue you are experiencing. Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about the contract you are referring to? I will be sure to look into your report and escalate it accordingly.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hello Avery, I was charged 5 dollars today and I paid nothing. Why is that. Can you track for the reason?

Hi Petar,

I checked and it looks like you gave a bonus to one of your freelancers. You can check this by going to Reports > Transactions.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
a0e2da5d
Community Member

Hi Michael! Did you find a solution to this issue? This is an issue I'm currently having.

Hi Manu,

The funds will be loaded on your account in up to 5 business days. If you haven't received your funds after 5 business days, let me know here and our team will initiate a trace on your transaction. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hello, I have the same problem with a refund. I hired someone so I sent him the money and he canceled but still I do not have the money. Can you check that please?

Hi Petar,

I checked and it looks like a refund was issued for the offer you're referring to. Please know that it can take up to 5 days for the funds to show up on your statement.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Thanks, it was issued on 31.12. So it is 4 days until now.
Latest Articles
Learning Paths