🐈
» Forums » Clients » Hiding real name
Page options
e6614781
Community Member

Hiding real name

How can I prevent the people I hire or interact with here from knowing my real name?

I need to hire people on some new projects that are controversial (unlike my usual work) and am doing what I can to remain anonymous, using a pseudonym, etc,  but the policies here seem to suggest I cannot keep those I hire from learning who I am. Why is that and what can I do about this? I don't even like asking this question in a public forum but have little choice - you know, because Upwork refuses to let you email them. Obnoxious.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

Clients are not required to use their real names when they create accounts.

You can use a company name.

An assistant can hire freelancers for you on your behalf.

There are many options.

petra_r
Community Member

Randy E wrote:

How can I prevent the people I hire or interact with here from knowing my real name?

I need to hire people on some new projects that are controversial (unlike my usual work) and am doing what I can to remain anonymous, using a pseudonym, etc,

If the project is so controversial that you are worried about having your name associated with it, maybe it is not a project you want to be involved with and get freelancers (whose real names will be associated with it) involved at all?

e6614781
Community Member

What makes you think I need to mention the names of the freelancers who worked on it?

versailles
Community Member

Okay now I so much want to know what these projects are about! 🙃

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Let's just say it's policitcal commentary and in our country right now, such things are bound to upset a lot of people, even if it's just the truth.

Randy: that is fair. And true.

I would challenge people to think of one thing that is NOT capable of making some people upset these days.

Anyway, as far as the mechanics of using Upwork, there are a lot of ways to retain anonymity.

Remember that project titles/contract title will be posted in the freelancer's profile pages, but job descriptions will not be.

So instead of titling a job posting "Write 500 word blog post about candidate Kane McRenvile", you could use a more non-descript title such as "Write 500 word blog post about candidate."

You can even post jobs under a certain title, and then once you find the freelancers for the job, abandon the original job posting entirely and create and Upwork contract using a different title altogether.

And again, there are many ways to hire freelancers without having your name in the mix. On most of the last dozen contracts I completed I was hired by one person. He hired me and arranged everything. But he is NOT the owner of the company. That company's owner's name is nowhere evident in anything I do on Upwork. Not publicly and not internally revealed to me through our contracts.

Hi Randy,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Randy E wrote:

Let's just say it's policitcal commentary and in our country right now, such things are bound to upset a lot of people, even if it's just the truth.

Point totally taken.

Sounds like something I would love to be involved in!! Haha

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths