Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hiring

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
21 of 24

I don't know about y'all, as I believe you are all in different fields than I, but as a designer when I see that a client wants to hire multiple freelancers, I'll usually bow out. The budget is not typically going to be adequate for those jobs anyway, but I use Upwork to get away from the 99designs mentality.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
22 of 24

re: "I don't know about y'all, as I believe you are all in different fields than I, but as a designer when I see that a client wants to hire multiple freelancers, I'll usually bow out. The budget is not typically going to be adequate for those jobs anyway, but I use Upwork to get away from the 99designs mentality."

I appreciate your observations about this.

I have been involved in hiring designers on Upwork in different ways. I have hired designers to work on personal projects of my own. And I am often involved in helping clients hire designers for projects that I'm working on as a programmer., because I don't want to do front-end design myself. Plus (as I point out to my clents), they are far better off hiring dedicated designers than trying to get me to do their design. I would only be able to do a mediocre job for them. So whenever possible I encourage project owners to hire real designers to do their design work. (Unless the design doesn't matter, such as with back-end work that will only used by a few administrators.)

For my personal projects, I have only hired designers using hourly contracts.

The same goes for the projects I have worked on as a programmer which hire other freelancers to do front-end design. These projects have hired designers using hourly contracts.

In all cases, these hires have been made using the freelancer's hourly rate.

So I don't think "budget" is a factor, because the freelancer is being paid for her time.

Some of these projects have only required an hour or two of work from the freelancer. On some of these projects, designers have been paid thousands of dollars.

When I have hired multiple designers to work on the same project, I did not indicate in the job posting that I was looking for multiple people. Would that have made a difference to them? I don't know. I have never really thought about it.

If you saw one of my job postings, to do graphic design or web design using an hourly contract, would that be something you would avoid because you don't like hourly work?

If you knew I wanted to hire multiple designers, would that make a difference to you if the contract was hourly?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
23 of 24

@ Jonathon,  I think I love you.

What no one is mentioning is the very negative impact 'hiring' multiple freelancers for a gig and then paying them a token $5 a pop has on a buyer's profile.  Such actions utterly destroy the buyer's credibility in the eyes of any savvy FLer. 

No creds = no quality applicants going forward.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
24 of 24

Thats a good point.

If I see a job posted with no specified budget or on hourly rates, then one of the first things I do is look at the clients average hourly rate and then look at history to see what they have paid for similar projects. If I see a load of jobs paid at a few $ an hour of $5/$10 fixed price jobs then i generally flag as 'insufficient budget' and move on.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS