🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: How can i get a refund for my contract?
Page options
marouane4d
Community Member

How can i get a refund for my contract?

Hello,

About 10 days ago I hired a freelancer for a specific job, I made my requirements very clear of what I was expecting, but every time the client would make his propositions before actually starting the work, but none of them seem even close to the needed result. I was a bit surprised of the bad quality not even close to what i was expecting.

With that said, i worked with many freelancers, and this is the first time that i find myself in this situation where i have to cancel, so i would like to get a refund, if i cancel our contract will that refund the amount for me? Or should i open a dispute?

What's the easiest and quickest way to do this?

Thank you for your valuable advice.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Marouane H wrote:

With that said, i worked with many freelancers, and this is the first time that i find myself in this situation where i have to cancel, so i would like to get a refund, if i cancel our contract will that refund the amount for me?

If you cancel and ask for the Escrow funds back, the freelancer can either approve that request or deny it, which triggers a dispute.

It's really the freelancer you need to be discussing this with. How much money are we talking about?

Marouane H wrote:

Generally, especially with small amounts, the easiest and quickest way to do it is to pay the freelancer and walk away.

You're a freelancer yourself. Dealing with a dispute over a low amount is mostly very much not worth it. If the dispute is over $ 20 for example, and can take hours of your time, plus, if it can't be resolved, $ 291 for arbitration, you'd be better off working a couple of hours at your usual $ 10 an hour to earn the money back than to deal with all the hassle and time of a dispute.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Marouane H wrote:

With that said, i worked with many freelancers, and this is the first time that i find myself in this situation where i have to cancel, so i would like to get a refund, if i cancel our contract will that refund the amount for me?

If you cancel and ask for the Escrow funds back, the freelancer can either approve that request or deny it, which triggers a dispute.

It's really the freelancer you need to be discussing this with. How much money are we talking about?

Marouane H wrote:

Generally, especially with small amounts, the easiest and quickest way to do it is to pay the freelancer and walk away.

You're a freelancer yourself. Dealing with a dispute over a low amount is mostly very much not worth it. If the dispute is over $ 20 for example, and can take hours of your time, plus, if it can't be resolved, $ 291 for arbitration, you'd be better off working a couple of hours at your usual $ 10 an hour to earn the money back than to deal with all the hassle and time of a dispute.

Thank you Petra, i appreciate your answer, your response was very valuable to me. Much appreciated!

JoanneP

Hi Marouane,

I'd like to confirm the information that Petra shared with you. You can also check this help article for more information. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths