🐈
» Forums » Clients » Made an offer... hearing crickets!
Page options
ae2c503b
Community Member

Made an offer... hearing crickets!

Hi, I'm new to UpWork and have made my first offer to a freelancer.  Since the offer, which was extended on 2/21, I've heard nothing from the freelancer (neither acceptance nor rejection). Is the ball in freelancer's court -- or -- mine?

I want to get the work completed and the freelancer seemed competent and willing to do it at the price agreed.

Have I done everything right?  I've sent freelancer 2 follow up messages as well and heard nothing from them.

Sincerely,

Shannon

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

Shannon:

re: "Is the ball in freelancer's court -- or -- mine?"

If you clicked the "Hire" button, then the ball is in the freelancer's court.

You CAN send a reminder message via Messages if you want to. But normally you shouldn't need to do so.

I have hired over 100 freelancers on Upwork.

Usually when I send a hire offer, it is quickly accepted and a freelancer starts earning money.

But not always. I'm sure if I counted them up there would be over a dozen offers that were never accepted.

To be perfectly honest, I hire too many freelancers to really care why someone doesn't accept a hire offer... even after discussing the project.

I just hire other people.

If I send a hire offer to a freelancer who doesn't accept the offer, I have no obligation to that freelancer. I can leave the offer open if I would really like her to work on the project, regardless of if I hire other people. Or I can withdraw the offer.

Thanks Preston... I wasn't sure if the freelancer was declining the offer or if further action was required on my part. At this point, the offer has sat for 5 days with no response. I targeted this freelancer, on the recommendation of a co-worker and high score of freelancer...  I guess I'll give a deadline and start again.

Thank you again for your prompt reply.
Shannon

pudingstudio
Community Member

Shannon J wrote:

Hi, I'm new to UpWork and have made my first offer to a freelancer.  Since the offer, which was extended on 2/21, I've heard nothing from the freelancer (neither acceptance nor rejection). Is the ball in freelancer's court -- or -- mine?

I want to get the work completed and the freelancer seemed competent and willing to do it at the price agreed.

Have I done everything right?  I've sent freelancer 2 follow up messages as well and heard nothing from them.

Sincerely,

Shannon

You move on.

Freelancer is expected to reply within 24 hours.
If they don't, you can assume that they (for whatever reason) won't be available/willing to work on that project.

Good thing is that there are sooo many awesome freelancers on UpWork; even though you encountered a person who (might be within reason) is unresponsive, platform works for you - find someone else.

m_sharman
Community Member

Shannon J wrote:

Sincerely,

Shannon

It sounds like you spoke to the freelancer about the work and agreed to a rate, before you sent the offer - correct?

If they didn't accept or respond within 24 hours, MOVE ON. This is a huge red flag in my book about communication.

As others have said, this site has amazing freelancers, I'm sure you can locate another service provider.

Mirium:

Exactly correct. She and I agreed on a price, I sent her the spreadsheet I needed completed and answered some of her questions she had about the work. Then, she asked me to "hire her" (because I didn't know I needed to do that).

I sent her the offer, then nothing...  Her feedback rating is super high, so I'm puzzled tha I've been ghosted. The feedback I'm getting from y'all, is to MOVE ONE. 

Guess I'm "MOVING ON!"  Thank you,

Shannon

tta192
Community Member

I would send a reminder first, just to make sure the freelancer is not actually working on the project and forgot to click the 'accept' button on the offer. Especially if it's a fixed-price contract.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths