🐈
» Forums » Clients » Met a Fraud Freelancer Called **Edited for Co...
Page options
abhiraj_gupta
Community Member

Met a Fraud Freelancer Called **Edited for Community Guidelines** on Upwork

Hello,

I met this freelancer called **Edited for Community Guidelines** for a WordPress website. We explained him our requirements and he commited to deliver the same within 10 days.

We finalized him and we were about to pay, so he requested for a call and he asked for direct payment as Upwork charges 20% commission. In good faith we agreed to pay him directly which turned out to be our biggest mistake.

Later, he started pushing us to provide certain paid plugins, SVG designs, initially we helped him with whatever he was asking, but then he started behaving rudely and did not deliver what we were expecting. We asked him to deliver what we have mutually agreed upon and that's when he showed his true colors.

He has deleted our website for which we have paid 50% advance payment and blocked us from everywhere.

We have decided to file a complaint with cyber cell and will report this fraud, I just wanted to know if Upwork can also help me to take some action?

Link to his profile: h**Edited for Community Guidelines**

This gentleman is a fraud.

8 REPLIES 8
sofia2008
Community Member

Did you have a fixed price contract with him, or just paid him directly with no contract?

f8d6df3a
Community Member

Because of this type of fraud people, We the freelancers, faces so much problem to gain trust of our customers. This type of people should be punished.

Paying outside of Upwork or asking/accepting payment outside of Upwork is a serious violation of Terms of Service. Everyone (clients and freelancers) have to follow the rules to make this place safe and trusted.

Hi Sophie,

We agreed on a fixed cost of $490.

I completely agree with you, as a client, I have also made a mistake by agreeing to pay outside Upwork. I have lost my money and learned my lesson, but I wish people don't fall for this kind of traps, just stick to Upwork and you will be happier.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Moving forward, you would have more ressources at your disposal by staying on Upwork, and be able to keep your account in good standing.

NikolaS

Hi Abhiraj,

Thank you for reaching out to us and bringing this to our attention. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Thank you so much.

abhiraj_gupta
Community Member

Hi Sophie,

We agreed on a fixed cost of $490.

I completely agree with you, as a client, I have also made a mistake by agreeing to pay outside Upwork. I have lost my money and learned my lesson, but I wish people don't fall for this kind of traps, just stick to Upwork and you will be happier.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths