🐈
» Forums » Clients » New On Upwork, how to hire?
Page options
f6db19c2
Community Member

New On Upwork, how to hire?

Hello, I am new here. What are the key things to keep in mind when going to hire a helping hand here?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well Sandeep, Petra's Venn diagram is right to the point.  Upwork works on the basic premise that buyers and providers are honorable people and they will conduct their businesses in ethical ways.

However, Upwork is a jungle.  Many different creatures with different set of value system live here.  I bet there is not a single freelancer who has not been cheated, and there are many buyers who get scammed as well.

Upwork bends over backwards to pretect the buyers - they have more protection than a provider like me.  Buyers are attracted to platform becasue they can get 'good deal'.  However, just like anything there is a risk associated with it.  It is not 100% fail safe.  If you are risk averse than hire someone locally.  There are ways to minimize the risk.

1. Be specific in your requirements and just don't look for the cheapest.

2. TALK to the freelancer - don't rely on few blurbs in messages.  Look at their work history (most important).  Have they done something you want them to do? or they are making up stuff. Their portfolio may shed some light.  However, they can make that up.  For example, if it is a website design I have seen many freelancers post links and those may be links to someone else's sites or someone who has made 'templates'.If you talk you would also get a feel for their personality and that could help you decide if you are comfortable.

3. From a buyer's point of view Fixed price contracts offer the maximum protection.

4. Good luck in your 'hunting' for 'good deal'.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

@Dr Sandeep S wrote:

Hello, I am new here. What are the key things to keep in mind when going to hire a helping hand here?

gfx

rcamba
Community Member

Look for the freelancer's profile if they have already made some work. That way you can assure that the freelancer is really doing his job. Make sure you are also verified when it comes to payment because some experienced freelancers would check an assurance from their clients.

JoanneP

Hi Dr Sandeep,

Please check out this thread to help you get started on Upwork as a client. If you need further assistance, please let us know.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Well Sandeep, Petra's Venn diagram is right to the point.  Upwork works on the basic premise that buyers and providers are honorable people and they will conduct their businesses in ethical ways.

However, Upwork is a jungle.  Many different creatures with different set of value system live here.  I bet there is not a single freelancer who has not been cheated, and there are many buyers who get scammed as well.

Upwork bends over backwards to pretect the buyers - they have more protection than a provider like me.  Buyers are attracted to platform becasue they can get 'good deal'.  However, just like anything there is a risk associated with it.  It is not 100% fail safe.  If you are risk averse than hire someone locally.  There are ways to minimize the risk.

1. Be specific in your requirements and just don't look for the cheapest.

2. TALK to the freelancer - don't rely on few blurbs in messages.  Look at their work history (most important).  Have they done something you want them to do? or they are making up stuff. Their portfolio may shed some light.  However, they can make that up.  For example, if it is a website design I have seen many freelancers post links and those may be links to someone else's sites or someone who has made 'templates'.If you talk you would also get a feel for their personality and that could help you decide if you are comfortable.

3. From a buyer's point of view Fixed price contracts offer the maximum protection.

4. Good luck in your 'hunting' for 'good deal'.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths