🐈
» Forums » Clients » Prevent specific freelancers from seeing job
Page options
getvisibleseo
Community Member

Prevent specific freelancers from seeing job

Is it possible to post a job without certain freelancers to see it?

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

LOL.

I'm laughing because this is out of left field, but it's actually an interesting idea.

Is it safe to say that some clients REALLY don't like certain contractors?

Or are there other reasons for blocking freelancers from seeing a job?

By the way, I don't think you can actually do this, other than by making a job private and only inviting certain people. Think about it: Public job postings* can be viewed by people who aren't even logged into Upwork. So how would you ensure that a specific individual is unable to see a specific job listing, when people can browse the site anonymously?

I guess if you set a job to be viewable ONLY by users who are logged into Upwork, then theoretically one could prevent specific indivuduals from viewing a job. I guess it's worth asking for such a feature. Not sure if Upwork will want to implement that unless there is some clear benefit to them, or some clear indication of substantial client demand...

=======

* Note that there are three different "Marketplace Visability" settings a client can choose when creating a job:

- Give my job maximum exposure (people can find it on google)
- Only Upwork users can find this job
- Only people I have invited can find this job

The default option is the most broad: Everybody can view the job, including non-logged-in web users who click on the "Browse" tool and search through or browse through Upwork job listings.

@Preston H wrote:

Or are there other reasons for blocking freelancers from seeing a job?

I don't know about freelancers, but often times when a company is "replacing" an employee they want to start the search (and hopefully finish it) without the person becoming aware that they're getting the boot.  Seems an unnecessary step for a set up like Upwork, though.

Yes.

Sometimes, you are not entirely satisfied with a freelancer, but his/her work is still perfectly OK.

It's just in terms of interaction/delays/prices that things may not be fully satisfying.

So, the idea would be to make test runs with new ones without former/current ones wondering why you don't hire them directly.

This way, you could slowly build new relationships and have smooth transitions or even keep former collaborations on former projects.

Antony, this is an online work place where people come to get work done and it doesnt have an exclusivity clause, unless you create one.

Neither the freelancer or the client should have the fear that working or hiring someone else will hurt the other feelings or that will be judged for their actions to be non-exclusive. When you hire or work as a freelancer you have to delimit from the "employment" mindset.

You can post the jobs and if any of those submit a proposal, send a nice message to thank for the interest and specify you are testing the waters.

Also, you have to be fair, the freelancer may have reserved some time for you due to previous commitment. If there is any freelancer that you have worked with and promised long term work and that freelancer does expect to get more work, send a note ahead and let them know that you plan to test the waters and while you may consider them for a job, you might choose someone else based on different factors.

I want the freedom of not dealing with something askward. it is my money being spent so I should have the say in the matter.

This is the precise scenario I find myself in. All business relationships are personal to a certain degree, and if you can test the waters to find a better fit a bit without rocking the boat on an acceptable, that can be ideal.

petra_r
Community Member

Your best option in such a case is to invite freelancers, rather than posting a public job post.

cclapper
Community Member

No, you wont hurt freelancers' feelings by hiring a different freelancer. You dont have to explain why you are hiring others. Both sides of the equation are free agents...thats the beauty of freelancing.

shansd
Community Member

I'm reminding about FB ,,Yes in FB we can block even posts from some people . As a freelancer when i browsing jobs i can see a label like "previous client" also 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths