🐈
» Forums » Clients » Question about fixed rates
Page options
word_craft
Community Member

Question about fixed rates

If I have a contract with a fixed rate. Can I change it to add more money if the freelancer does well.  But my problem is that the contract is set at hourly. We are working on a per word basis. I figure I can estimate the words but if they are more than my estimate, can I change the terms to add more money?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Adam:
It does not matter if you have a fixed-price or hourly contract.

You may use the client-side "Send bonus" tool to send additional money in any amount to a freelancer.

You can even use that tool if the contract is closed.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000980407-Pay-a-Bonus

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

Adam:
It does not matter if you have a fixed-price or hourly contract.

You may use the client-side "Send bonus" tool to send additional money in any amount to a freelancer.

You can even use that tool if the contract is closed.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000980407-Pay-a-Bonus

petra_r
Community Member

Adam K wrote:

If I have a contract with a fixed rate. But my problem is that the contract is set at hourly. We are working on a per word basis.

This rarely works. Either you have a fixed rate contract, where you simply add, fund and activate milestones for each new project or task, or you have an hourly contract, where the freelancer tracks their time and you are charged automatically based on the time worked, not specific deliverables. Mixing the two isn't a good idea.

If you want to proceed with a fixed rate model, close the hourly contract and hire the freelancer on a fixed rate contract, funding and activating milestones as you go along.

Paying on an hourly contract via bonuses is not an elegant solution and freelancers should not agree to such a model as they have no protection if the client fails to pay.

Decide which contract form suits you, then stick with that. 

As far as the exact word-count of specific milestones is concerned, in a gixed rate contract you can easily adjust the money to be released to the freelancer up or down when you pay, so if the word count is higher or lower than what is funded, just edit the sum to be paid.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths