🐈
» Forums » Clients » Ripped off by Upwork $29.99 premium posting (...
Page options
69827abc
Community Member

Ripped off by Upwork $29.99 premium posting (deceptive practice?)

For my tech startup project I need to hire multiple testers in different countries to try the app and give feedback for the development team.  I don't have the luxury of waiting for random people to respond (if they respond at all).  As in any startup, speed and agility is the key.  Inviting freelance testers is the fastest way to hire them, win-win for both sides.  So after 15 invites I am told I hit the max.  Upwork asks that I pay $29.99 to have "unlimited" invites.  I begrudgingly paid the steep price to hire people to test the app, and comes to find out the invite is not "unlimited", there is a limit.  Once you hit this limit you have to wait 24 hours or ask Upwork to remove the restriction by submitting a form with reason.  They said it's to prevent spam and fraud.  Cool, I'm trying to hire and not spam.  But the submission form doesn't work, can't submit anything.  I tried chat support, no luck, they can't remove the restriction even though Upwork said it's possible (see attached).  Tried calling, explain the sense of urgency and I paid $29.99 why am I being restricted?  Phone support can't help either.  E-mail Upwork, and not even an automatic reply.  This is terrible customer service and deceptive business practice.  As a long time paying client of this platform I'm very angry and felt like I've been cheated out of money with no resolution insight.

It's 2021, Upwork is still operating in the 1990s...1.JPG

5 REPLIES 5
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi J H,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you and for the delay regarding the restriction. I've also escalated your concern and one of our team members will assist you as soon as possible directly on your ticket. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks for the assistance.  I want to ask the Upwork management re-examine the 24 hr limit policy, especially for paid clients.  I get the fear of spam, but for clients with legitmate time-sensitive needs this is a big problem.  In a multi-sided marketplace, Upwork is supposed to remove frictions and barriers and not add them.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for sharing this feedback. I'll be sure to share it with our team. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

This is a misuse of the UW platform and also a poor recruiting methodology.

Phyllis, I think so too.

However, as a guy knee-deep in the startup world, I understand that there is a horde of highly ambitious founders who want everything done right now, perfectly, and most preferably free of charge. 😉

Many spend all their pocket money on things that they don't even need for building their businesses.

Waiting a full day for something good is nearly impossible. Paying top dollar for the best stuff isn't even an option.

Too busy with hustling and all that startup stuff. 🤣

Not commenting this particular case in any way here.
Latest Articles
Learning Paths