🐈
» Forums » Clients » VAT and taxes in European countries
Page options
4be621dd
Community Member

VAT and taxes in European countries

Hi,

I am a client in Upwork and work together with a few upwork freelancers. Based in Austria, I am falling into the category of small enterprice and I do not get VAT back and I also do not issue VAT in my invoices.

Now, the invoices that I pay in Upwork do not have any hint about the VAT or reverse charge. On the other side, when I see the upwork withdawl of the amount from my credit card, it says upwork dublin. So basically there must be a reverse charge on the bill because I am paying the amount to a Dublin entity of Upwork.

I want to know whether I have to pay the 20% VAT tax here to the authorities or the invoices are issues without VAT because of the reverse charge.

1 REPLY 1
colettelewis
Community Member

@Diana M wrote:

Hi,

I am a client in Upwork and work together with a few upwork freelancers. Based in Austria, I am falling into the category of small enterprice and I do not get VAT back and I also do not issue VAT in my invoices.

Now, the invoices that I pay in Upwork do not have any hint about the VAT or reverse charge. On the other side, when I see the upwork withdawl of the amount from my credit card, it says upwork dublin. So basically there must be a reverse charge on the bill because I am paying the amount to a Dublin entity of Upwork.

I want to know whether I have to pay the 20% VAT tax here to the authorities or the invoices are issues without VAT because of the reverse charge.

As far as I know, clients in the EU do not pay VAT via Upwork. Freelancers in the EU pay VAT if they do not have a VAT number because they are buying a service and Upwork is obliged to charge VAT to satisfy the laws of the various EU countries. I hope Joachim (another freelancer) sees this and joins in  with his greater knowledge.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths