🐈
» Forums » Clients » Want to cancel the contract with out any disp...
Page options
7240a248
Community Member

Want to cancel the contract with out any dispute

I hired a freelancer for a specific project which was very mandatory to be relased by 30 june. The freelancer delivered absolutely nothing so far. he now sends a pdf document which is no way useful or related to my work. he pretended for 2 weeks as if the things were alright but now he says the requirements are ambiguous. i can not pay the freelancer for work which is not at all relative to me and useless. how do i cancel this contract? i dont want to be in dispute with the freelancer. please help me
6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

You can cancel a contract without any dispute.

Why would you think there needs to be a dispute?

You can unilaterally cancel a contract by releasing any remaining escrow funds and closing the contract. This CAUSES NO DISPUTE and there is no way for the freelancer to block such an action.

If you want any money back, simply talk to the freelancer first, get him to agree to a refund. Then close the context, edit the amount of money to be released, and finalize the closure. The freelancer will clock Accept on a form asking him to accept the refund request. And that's it. The contract is thus closed without dispute.

Read more here:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062058-Get-an-Escrow-Refund

Question: Is there a way to end my contract without dispute and without talking to the freelancer?
Answer: Yes. Easily,

Question: Is there a way to end the contract without the dispute AND get all my money back?

Answer: Yes, that is easy as long as the freelancer agrees to the refund.

Question: Is there a way to end a contract AND not have a dispute AND get all my money back AND not do this without the freelancer's approval?
Answer: No.

Praveen:

How much money is currently in escrow?

400$ in escrow. Freelancer demands 50$ for an irrelevant work.

re: "400$ in escrow. Freelancer demands 50$ for an irrelevant work."

It sounds to me like you are saying you have the opportunity to release $50 to the freelancer, and he will refund $350 to you?

That sounds like a good deal to me.

But it is YOUR choice.

You can tell the freelancer "no deal", and you can close the contract while asking for a full refund of $400. If you do that, then maybe the freelancer will agree to refund all $400. And maybe he will NOT agree to the refund, and the case will go to a "dispute", which moves it into the "mediation" phase.

During dispute/mediation, an Upwork mediator will attempt to get the freelancer and client to come to an agreement. But the mediator won't make a decision.

If you can't come to an agreement during mediation, then the next step after that is arbitration, which will cost you $291, cost the freelancer $291, and cost Upwork $291. Those fees are non-refundable.

petra_r
Community Member

Praveen V wrote:

Offer $25, be happy to pay $40, move on.

2a05aa63
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Praveen V wrote:

Offer $25, be happy to pay $40, move on.

This will also let you leave a review on their profile.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths