🐈
» Forums » Clients » What makes clients select freelancers ?
Page options
52f63ae4
Community Member

What makes clients select freelancers ?

Hello , I am a freelancer specializing in graphic designing and I want to ask the clients that what makes you select a particular freelancer ? I have been trying for months now and I have made my profile understanding and good as much as I can . I have been true to it . I have sent many proposals with each propasal being written by me according to client's needs . I don't copy paste proposals . I keep my price low as I don't had previous clients . I have done everything in my power still I don't even have a single client ? 

Do client's only give projects to freelancers who had previous clients ? If yes , how are new freelancers supposed to grow ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
81f2681a
Community Member

First of all, knows that something is happening in Upwork and we are facing a substantial reducement of clients hiring freelancers here, as we can see in comunity even top rated and experienced with high ammount of earnings is saying they can´t get a single client in past months.

Now about your profile, as I´m a designer too, I must say: You must improve a lot. If I was a client I wouldn´t hire you in anyway. Don´t thinks I´m being rude, I´m helping you, now lets go:

First of all: Change your photo. Your photo doesn´t shows credibility. We can´t see your face, we can´t even says if it is a real photo or an edited image, focus on your face, shows yourself, clients may thinks you are a scammer.

Second: Your profile starts with "I am not only the best freelancer in my skills but also very reliable,"..... Realy?!!!! Man, slow down! You are just starting and is pridefull enough to says to clients that you are "the best"?!!! This is laughtfulll! This sounds so much arrogant, and nobody thinks arrogant people is "reliable". You says too "trustworthy and responsible .", you doesn´t needs to say this, this is what every clients expect you be. Being trustworthy and responsible isn´t a diferential, this is the basic. Just these first lines of your profile makes every client runs away.  If I was a client I would never hire you. Be more humble.

"I am not on this platform to only earn money so my prices will always be low and negotiable for each project ." - Don´t lie, you are here to earn money, and everybody knows that. - This is another phrase that can makes clients run away from you, some will laugh first.

Continuing:

"Here is why you should work with me -:

:star: 100% Refund If Not Satisfied
:star: 100% Job Satisfaction
:star: Good Communication
:star: Unlimited Revisions until Satisfied"

Realy?!! Do you realy believes somebody will falls on that!? You says "100% refund if not satisfied" then "100% satisfaction"... You are just giving to clients an idea that they may not be satisfied with your work, and then in next line you says he will be 100% satisfied! This is realy contradictory. Again, clients just expect you satisfy them. "Good Comunication" - This isn´t a diferential, this is what every client expect from any freelancer.

The only usefull thing in this list "Unlimited Revisions until satisfied".

Continuing:

You have a big list of services and just 3 pieces in your portfólio! You must add more pieces on your portfolio that is in accordance with your big list of services. If you are so experienced a you said, I would expect much more than just 3 logo pieces.

Now about your portfolio:

Just 3 pieces and no, in my opiniom, you´re not the best as you said. Your 3 logos has not high quality. Well it must be a matter of taste, somebody may like it, but, for me it isn´t good logos, and I didn´t like none of it. You must add more pieces shows how "experienced" you are.

I knows It may sound like I´m being rude, but I´m not. I´m just saying the truth to you.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
60fb74f5
Community Member

I don't think clients only give projects to freelancers with previous clients.

I joined around a year ago. The thought has crossed my mind, but I eventually get some clients. I'm still learning about creating better proposals, and also profiles.

Just a thought, I think your rate is too low for an experienced designer. I'm afraid clients could see inconsistency when they see "Expert" and "$4".

Also, I think a low rate does not always mean the client will thank you or respect you, it might even be the opposite.

kreativekingdom
Community Member

Hi Utkarsh,
always remember QCC ( Quality + Consistency + Communication )
Talk less about yourself and talk more about client's solution of the problem
This will really help you

Yeah I do that in the cover letter . I talk more about client's needs . 

mhdlh
Community Member

I don't know if a customer can check 50 profiles, or if he has time to spend on this. 

You need to focus on web design and to add new skills at that area.

I prefer a graphic designer to be talented, means that he/she has brilliant hand sketching, hand drawing. If you have this talent, then show it on your profile. Good Luck!

52f63ae4
Community Member

Okay will do . I am in final stages of learning web designing and soon will learn to code . 

81f2681a
Community Member

First of all, knows that something is happening in Upwork and we are facing a substantial reducement of clients hiring freelancers here, as we can see in comunity even top rated and experienced with high ammount of earnings is saying they can´t get a single client in past months.

Now about your profile, as I´m a designer too, I must say: You must improve a lot. If I was a client I wouldn´t hire you in anyway. Don´t thinks I´m being rude, I´m helping you, now lets go:

First of all: Change your photo. Your photo doesn´t shows credibility. We can´t see your face, we can´t even says if it is a real photo or an edited image, focus on your face, shows yourself, clients may thinks you are a scammer.

Second: Your profile starts with "I am not only the best freelancer in my skills but also very reliable,"..... Realy?!!!! Man, slow down! You are just starting and is pridefull enough to says to clients that you are "the best"?!!! This is laughtfulll! This sounds so much arrogant, and nobody thinks arrogant people is "reliable". You says too "trustworthy and responsible .", you doesn´t needs to say this, this is what every clients expect you be. Being trustworthy and responsible isn´t a diferential, this is the basic. Just these first lines of your profile makes every client runs away.  If I was a client I would never hire you. Be more humble.

"I am not on this platform to only earn money so my prices will always be low and negotiable for each project ." - Don´t lie, you are here to earn money, and everybody knows that. - This is another phrase that can makes clients run away from you, some will laugh first.

Continuing:

"Here is why you should work with me -:

:star: 100% Refund If Not Satisfied
:star: 100% Job Satisfaction
:star: Good Communication
:star: Unlimited Revisions until Satisfied"

Realy?!! Do you realy believes somebody will falls on that!? You says "100% refund if not satisfied" then "100% satisfaction"... You are just giving to clients an idea that they may not be satisfied with your work, and then in next line you says he will be 100% satisfied! This is realy contradictory. Again, clients just expect you satisfy them. "Good Comunication" - This isn´t a diferential, this is what every client expect from any freelancer.

The only usefull thing in this list "Unlimited Revisions until satisfied".

Continuing:

You have a big list of services and just 3 pieces in your portfólio! You must add more pieces on your portfolio that is in accordance with your big list of services. If you are so experienced a you said, I would expect much more than just 3 logo pieces.

Now about your portfolio:

Just 3 pieces and no, in my opiniom, you´re not the best as you said. Your 3 logos has not high quality. Well it must be a matter of taste, somebody may like it, but, for me it isn´t good logos, and I didn´t like none of it. You must add more pieces shows how "experienced" you are.

I knows It may sound like I´m being rude, but I´m not. I´m just saying the truth to you.

elisa_b
Community Member

Straight to the point, Andre. Well said.

Utkarsh, you should be more humble. I wouldn't hire you myself, after reading your description and checking your portfolio. I could have created those logos myself even though I am not a designer - did you notice that some of their elements are actually misaligned?

Please take into consideration Andre's comments. And I would just avoid the sentence "I tend to give my best effort in my projects" - you tend? You should work to the best of your capabilities, always. 

52f63ae4
Community Member

Thank you for the advice . I will be working on that . 

Ok , I am gonna work on that . I got some useful advice from this community and I am improving my profile according to the advice . Right now , I am making 3 project catalogs and as soon as I finish them , I will work more on my profile . 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths