🐈
» Forums » Clients » Why do clients always disappear when their co...
Page options
classysnobbb
Community Member

Why do clients always disappear when their contracts get suspended by Upwork?

Over the course of my time on Upwork, I’ve noticed that when clients have gotten their contracts suspended (seemingly due to a lack of funds on their cards) they disappear, vanish, and conveniently stop responding to messages.

This is common with certain hourly projects that I’ve worked on when clients’ contracts have gotten suspended. Thankfully, I’ve always been covered by Upwork’s payment protection. 

Any thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

Just use your imagination.

Maybe they ran out of money, and they're embarrassed.

Maybe they were using a credit card that they were not really authorized to use. They got caught, and there is nothing to gain by continuing to communicate with you when they can't pay you.

I have had plenty of clients whose contracts were suspended temporarily, and things went back to normal when they resolved things with Upwork.

If a client has issues with their payment method that they can NOT resolve, then don't be surprised if they "disappear." Just be grateful that Upwork has a Payment Protection program in place. You will NOT find that guarantee in any other place that I know of.

Maybe Upwork terminates their accounts with extreme prejudice. Robot Mad

They have no reason to stick around. What would they be doing on Upwork while they can't pay for any work and/or don't want to update their payment method? They certainly won't want to chat with freelancers they owe.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths