🐈
» Forums » Clients » Why so many "No feedback given" ?
Page options
duncanmurtagh
Community Member

Why so many "No feedback given" ?

I am considering hiring this person. What's the likely reason that this freelancer has lots of "No feedback given" previous jobs, including the last 4? thanks

Freelancers's last 4 pieces of feedbackFreelancers's last 4 pieces of feedback

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ericaandrews
Community Member

I would NOT read much into 'no feedback', because clients are not required to leave feedback if the freelancer closes the contract on their own or an old, inactive contract is auto-closed by Upwork. I have seen many clients (through their their "hire history" attached to their job postings) that simply NEVER leave feedback for any freelancer, or clients that only leave feedback when they have something negative to say.   I've seen clients that had over 100+ hires in their 'history' showing, where lots of freelancers left positive reviews for the client and the client didn't bother to leave a single review for anybody.   It happens.  I've also seen instances where that same 'no feedback' client hired the same freelancers over and over. Being re-hired is an indication the freelancer did a good job, even though the client doesn't bother to leave feedback.

In addition, if the client does lots of hiring for quick/small jobs, they simply may not have time to leave feedback for everybody, or just don't bother doing it.  Some of the really big clients might hire dozens or hundreds of people a day, and simply 'disappear' after they get the work they need from the freelancer.

The client NOT leaving feedback is not a reflection on the freelancer at all: Trust me, if the client was UNHAPPY, they would have almost certainly taken the time to leave a harsh review to help 'tank' the freelancer's job score. For what I have seen, a client may or may not leave 'kind' words if that had a good experience, but they will never miss an opportunity criticize a freelancer if they are unhappy.

I would focus more on the jobs where feedback WAS left, and the Job Success Score, and not spend much time trying to 'read into' why one or more clients didn't leave feedback. Assuming 'no feedback' is negative is  basically punishing the freelancer for a previous client's laziness or lack of action, and that doesn't make sense.  You're hiring the freelancer, not the previous client(s)

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
williamtcooper
Community Member

Duncan,

I have recieved 90% Feedbacks on my 340 5-Star Jobs after five years. Draw your own conclusions with too many "No feeback given". 😁

How do you know that wathever happened to your remaining 10% with no feedback is not the same thing that happened with that freelancer?

Consider the math and the patterns to draw a conclusion.

Sorry, I cannot draw a conclusion just by seeing 4 jobs out of more than a hundred.

I am using deductive reasoning into Duncan's question that there are more than 4 "No feedback given" because he can't show a picture of a hundred reviews.

As I stated to Duncan, draw your own conclusion.

Hi William,

Thanks but I cannot draw any conclusion from that information. I think you might need to spell it out for me - are the Clients not happy, or lazy about feedback? I dont' get it. 

Yep, look like lazy clients.

Some are lazy and some are not happy enough to leave feedback.

Based upon the overall feedback, you will get a feel. If the freelancer has hundreds of 5-Stars with raving Reviews, and a high JSS, then it's lazy clients. If there are lots of blank Reviews and / or not mostly 5-Star Reviews, then the freelancer's not doing a great job.

What is the percentage of 5-Star Reviews versus blank Reviews or low Reviews?

What is the JSS (Job Score)?

How much revenue has the freelancer made on Upwork? $100,000 is better than $10,000. A million is better than $100,000.

Reviews, JSS and revenues are main factors to consider before hiring a freelancer.

Hi William,

Thanks for your response.

JSS:  89% on 115 total jobs 

Last bunch of reviews (NF = no feedback, a number = the stars):

NF,  NF,NF,NF,NF,5,5,NF,5,5, 5,5,4.5,5, 4.6,   NF,NF, 5, 5, 5, 5, NF,, 5, NF,NF, 5, 5, 5 NF,

...looks like a good freelancer when I look at the data like that, would you agree? 

thanks all! 

Hi Duncan,

Upwork considers the best freelancers to have a 90% score or better; so close.

That is a high percentage of NF. For example my NF is about 10% and JSS is 98%.

115 jobs is good.

All in all this appears to be a better than average freelancer with the information presented.

I think you should not depend entirely on it. You can find client's rants about freelancers with good profile every once in a while here in this very forum. Let me quote one:

I had chosen the most expensive designer with the best ratings from a pool of 15 designers

Feedback manipulation is a real thing. In the other hand some freelancers might just don't care about asking for feedback, or even about getting a lot of money here in Upwork.

So it's okay to look at profile but don't depend on it. You'll have better luck with doing a good method in hiring.

tlsanders
Community Member

If you see a string of no feedback contracts, it may mean that the freelancer closed a bunch of old contracts at the same time. That grouping doesn't necessarily mean a high percentage are no feedback. That freelancer, by the job count, has 11 pages of past jobs--unless most of them have no feedback, I would pay more attention to what the clients who did review had to say.

Some clients just don't come back to leave feedback; freelancers get paid automatically and the clients receive the work and move on. 

Thanks Tiffany, the freelancer has lots of good stuff on the other pages. 

sofia2008
Community Member

You might need to look at the bigger picture and look further than those last 4 jobs. For exemple, if that freelancer asked the clients to close the contract and that the clients did not do anything, the freelancer might have decided to close them himself. Clients had 14 days to respond. That might be the case, especially if the end date of those 4 contracts is the same date (which we can't see).

ec713077
Community Member

• If you are looking at feedback it might not always be the best option when considering hiring someone. For example I had someone hire me for a job, gave no feedback, but I did the job correctly overnight, etc. Now when a client sees my profile they think : "Oh, no feedback, must be a bad freelancer??" Not a good example to follow. Unless there is specific feedback stating the freelancer is terrible at what they do? Again, look for more than one of these posts as it could be only one client stating that. Also consider as the above said it could be that they closed the jobs. I have another suggestion: it could be freelancers that hired him/her and refused feedback. I suppose there is only one way to find out. I agree with Sophie, look further back and see what others said. Good luck! 
sajal36
Community Member

That's a true fact, there is always reference required if individual are starting new somewhere. However, at times employer look past experiences and feedbacks to take the call and this must from the latest jobs.

arunkumar60
Community Member

Check the end date of those contracts with No feedback, if you see a bunch of them closed on a single day or a couple of days here and there, it means the freelancer closed contracts which were in place from a long time but there isn't any work coming from these clients.

ericaandrews
Community Member

I would NOT read much into 'no feedback', because clients are not required to leave feedback if the freelancer closes the contract on their own or an old, inactive contract is auto-closed by Upwork. I have seen many clients (through their their "hire history" attached to their job postings) that simply NEVER leave feedback for any freelancer, or clients that only leave feedback when they have something negative to say.   I've seen clients that had over 100+ hires in their 'history' showing, where lots of freelancers left positive reviews for the client and the client didn't bother to leave a single review for anybody.   It happens.  I've also seen instances where that same 'no feedback' client hired the same freelancers over and over. Being re-hired is an indication the freelancer did a good job, even though the client doesn't bother to leave feedback.

In addition, if the client does lots of hiring for quick/small jobs, they simply may not have time to leave feedback for everybody, or just don't bother doing it.  Some of the really big clients might hire dozens or hundreds of people a day, and simply 'disappear' after they get the work they need from the freelancer.

The client NOT leaving feedback is not a reflection on the freelancer at all: Trust me, if the client was UNHAPPY, they would have almost certainly taken the time to leave a harsh review to help 'tank' the freelancer's job score. For what I have seen, a client may or may not leave 'kind' words if that had a good experience, but they will never miss an opportunity criticize a freelancer if they are unhappy.

I would focus more on the jobs where feedback WAS left, and the Job Success Score, and not spend much time trying to 'read into' why one or more clients didn't leave feedback. Assuming 'no feedback' is negative is  basically punishing the freelancer for a previous client's laziness or lack of action, and that doesn't make sense.  You're hiring the freelancer, not the previous client(s)

Latest Articles
Learning Paths