🐈
» Forums » Clients » admin access
Page options
californialife
Community Member

admin access

I've contracted for some code and the contractor is asking for admin access to the website.  I've given editor rights but not sure why I need to give admin access.  I've requested the code just be sent to me and I will install myself, but he's insisting to install and wants admin access.  I've seen the final product and satisfied, but not comfortable with giving full admin access.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

John:

If I was working on your project, I definitely would NOT need admin access to your site in order to complete this task.

I am NOT available to work on your project. (I do not solicit work in the Community Forum.) But I know that most developers who are capable of doing this project would not insist on having admin access to your website.

If you are not comfortable providing access to this developer, then don't do so.

If he insists on this, then maybe he is not the right person to continue working with.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

John:

If I was working on your project, I definitely would NOT need admin access to your site in order to complete this task.

I am NOT available to work on your project. (I do not solicit work in the Community Forum.) But I know that most developers who are capable of doing this project would not insist on having admin access to your website.

If you are not comfortable providing access to this developer, then don't do so.

If he insists on this, then maybe he is not the right person to continue working with.

browersr
Community Member

You should insist that he explain his reasons for wanting admin access and to do the installation. Perhaps there is an issue or some hidden gotchas and he wants to do the installation so as to not draw notice. Perhaps he just really wants to make sure everything works appropriately. Of course you are under no obligation to provide that access but I would certainly press him on his reasons. If for no other reason than to ensure you aren't stuck with something that is broken or otherwise compromised. I do not know the nature of the work performed but if he doesn't give a direct answer and is otherwise being cagey, you may want to consider having someone else review his work. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths