🐈
» Forums » Clients » freelancer did not deliver how to get refund?
Page options
103cdb4d
Community Member

freelancer did not deliver how to get refund?

guy didnt deliver wont respond to emails how do i get my money back from escrow

5 REPLIES 5
katrinabeaver
Community Member

You can close the contract and you will be prompted to ask for a refund. The freelancer then has to approve the refund or take it to dispute. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

Keep in mind there are 3 possibilities:

a) You (client) close the contract, requesting full refund. Freelancer is an honorable person. He approves the refund. You get your money back.

b) You close the contract, requesting full refund. Freelancer is completely non-responsive. He never responds to Upwork's request that he approve or decline refund. You get your money back.

c) You close the contract. But freelancer is dishonorable. He disputes the refund request. Then the contract is officially in dispute and Upwork will involved, starting with requesting that you work things out with the freelancer, and possibly going to arbitration (which costs you a $291 unrefundable fee).

Possibilities (a) and (b) are good. You don't want (c).

@Preston H wrote:

c) You close the contract. But freelancer is dishonorable. He disputes the refund request. Then the contract is officially in dispute and Upwork will involved, starting with requesting that you work things out with the freelancer, and possibly going to arbitration (which costs you a $291 unrefundable fee).

Possibilities (a) and (b) are good. You don't want (c).

(c) is a bit misleading.

For one thing, the client would obviously be able to choose whether or not to pay the fee and pursue arbitration. A dispute doesn't just "go to" arbitration.

More significantly, if the freelancer doesn't choose to pay the $291, the funds will automatically be refunded to the client.

How do I close the contract ?

Hi Aytek,

You can follow our instructions in this Guide on how to close your contract. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths