🐈
» Forums » Clients » freelancer provided unusable files
Page options
a46e4b3d
Community Member

freelancer provided unusable files

Hello,

Recently, I hired a freelancer for the first time, and so far it hasn't been a particularly good experience. I have a quite specific problem

The work was apparently done since the freelancer sent me some files. Only, I am unable to open them. They were created with a wrong version of the software (a newer version than mine). And I will never be able to open them because, for multiple reasons, I can't update my software at all.

As a result, I have files, but they are useless. I can't even check whether the work has been properly done. All I have as proof are videos submitted by the freelancer.

The freelancer questions my claim that I am unable to update the software and obviously suspects me of trying to scam him. In a way I can understand him. Perhaps he did a good job but I have no way of checking. He did try to help me but he seems to think that it is up to me to try to adapt.

I wasted a lot of time trying to understand where the problems came from, then to try to find a solution to update the software. But I didn't find any. Moreover, I will have to leave from next week onwards and we've already lost so much time that even if he offers to start over right now, I won't have time to check out a new file.

He seems honest and although I feel that he should have made sure to deliver a project in the right version, as a freelancer myself I know how difficult this can be and I don't really know what I should do in this situation.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thank you

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
a46e4b3d
Community Member

Thanks to both of you for your answers.

I certainly wouldn't have the time or the budget to hire another person. Not to mention the risk of finding once again a freelancer who will not do the job properly.

For this first time as a client I've learned a valuable lesson: this is nothing more than a lottery that leaves no room for mistakes. I understand now the distrust shown by some clients. And it's a complete shame. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

Marie:
One of the greatest things that any client can understand is that not every hire works out.

For every job niche and pay level, there is a statistically predictable failure rate.

You can be successful as a client if you understand that this is part of doing business with freelancer, and it is not interesting.

To save time and money as a client, I recommend that you proactively plan to never get money back from a freelancer. Becaus trying to get money back is a gamble. Usually you'll fail. A better approach is to monitor the work that freelancers do, especially early on. And if you don't love a freelancer's work, then fire that freelancer and assign the work to other members of the team.

When a client frets about what to do with an underperforming freelancer, that client is putting the needs of the freelancer ahead of their own needs. Put yourself and your project first. You don't owe it to an underperforming freelancer to mentor her or help her to get better at her job.

Your situation may be a little different than what clients normally encounter with an incompetent freelancer. Your problem appears to be that the freelancer is competent, but not patient about your situation.

I recommend that you stop communicating with this freelancer.

Then hire somebody else to re-do the work, or hire somebody specifically for the task of opening these files in newer software and saving them into the older version.

jennifervh
Community Member

As a freelancer whose deliverable is a software-specific file, one of the first questions I ask a client is which version they are using so I send them the right version (and so that I only suggest/use features available in the version they're using).

It seems pretty harsh that this freelancer won't downgrade the file for you to an earlier version, though maybe that is a lot more work than I'm aware of in this case. I don't really understand why they would think this is you trying to scam them, or why they wouldn't at least try to discuss solutions with you - tell you it will take x amount of time to rewrite/recode/redo in a lower version. But if they won't cooperate, could you put out a job request just asking that the file be downgraded from version y to version x and get estimates to how much time that would entail for your specific case? Meanwhile, has too much time passed, or do you still have time before approving the work? Ideally, someone can downgrade the file to your version so you get a chance to review it before paying the first freelancer for it.

I had the same problem with files I sent a client. I'm not at all a computer expert, I'm just ready to try things. So I just saved the file in one of the other versions proposed by the computer until I found a version the client was able to see.

It took a little while but it wasn't a major problem at all. With a little patience and will to find a solution, your freelancer can probably  find a solution.

It sounds like the freelancer did try to troubleshoot, but if the client's software is really, really old, there are limits on how many versions back that you can save something and retain functionality. If a client is using old software and can't upgrade, they should state this at the beginning of the project. 

I agree with you, Christine, the client should have anticipated this type of issue and tried to find someone that could deal with it.

a46e4b3d
Community Member

Thanks to both of you for your answers.

I certainly wouldn't have the time or the budget to hire another person. Not to mention the risk of finding once again a freelancer who will not do the job properly.

For this first time as a client I've learned a valuable lesson: this is nothing more than a lottery that leaves no room for mistakes. I understand now the distrust shown by some clients. And it's a complete shame. 

jeremiah-brown
Community Member

I run into this all the time.  I am also going to answer this question in a very candid and blunt manner - take it as you will.

As a freelancer, when I read a job posting I am making the assumption that the client knows what they want.  During the hiring process and project review, I also expect that both myself and the client will talk about the scope of work and the items to be delivered.  Rarely am I ever asked which version I am running for a given piece of software.  The software that I use daily is NOT reverse compatible - files made with a newer version cannot be opened with an older version.

Now for the part that people will probably disagree with - it is not my responsbility to ensure your software works with the items you are asking me to make.  I am only responsble for making the items you are paying me to make.

Yes, that sounds terrible, but at the end of the day its true.  I don't have time to memorize what software works with what, dive deep into researching how clients *might* use their own software, and I certainly don't have time to uninstall my latest version and install an older version of software because you don't want to upgrade or have not upgraded for any number of reasons.  

That said - in the event that I do run across a situation where the reverse compatibility might be an issue, I always bring it up with the client.  When I can identify it.  If a client brings up an issue like this after the work is finished, I do my best to assist the client in finding a solution - despite being under no obligation to do so.  It falls under the treat others as you wish to be treated category - and I will also note, clients need to contribute to finding a solution, not just wait helplessly while the freelancer searches (happens more than you think).  

If you spent money on a project, did not ask those important questions, and the freelancer did good work, then you should not be entitled to a refund and it is your mistake to own 100%.  

Every freelancer decides the type and level of service they wish to provide... I'd say at least half of my clients are new to the software we're using and they just don't know all the questions to ask. My experience having used this software with many types of data and in lots of different industries and settings is part of what I bring to the table, and lets me help them get ahead of known pitfalls.

To be fair, the software I use makes it easy to downgrade to another version, and you can have multiple versions of the same software running on one computer. But if this wasn't the case, and version compatibility was a potential problem, I'd think it would make for a better outcome all around to just ask what version they're running as a standard part of an interview. I enjoy my job for the most part, and really want to set my clients up for success in the work we're doing together.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths