🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Did I miss something?
Page options
allpurposewriter
Community Member

Did I miss something?

For a while (years) I've seen job postings for authors needed to write fiction in the genre of paranormal romance.

OK, I've politely said nothing about this. What's there to say, anyway?

Today, I ran into a job listing that called for someone to write a 60,000-word book in the genre of "werewolves and hockey."

Not only that, but the job poster wrote, "don't bother to apply for this unless you are familiar with the werewolves and hockey genre."

Is this a joke? Have I missed out on some amazing fiction, because I have not yet discovered the werewolf and hockey genre?

Are there any other wacked out genres that I haven't heard about? Are there tons of retirement home romance novels I've somehow never been aware of? How about goldfish murder mysteries or romance with aliens? "Don't bother to apply unless you are familiar with intergalactic romance novels ...." 

And what about zombies playing lacrosse? Has everyone kept that a secret, too?

Anyway, as a ghostwriter, I guess I just haven't read the right books.  Come to think of it, maybe someone didn't know what the word ghostwriter meant, which kicked off the exciting new venue of paranormal romance books.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hglewis
Community Member

Anthony,

I did a little research, and here's what I've been missing:

Evidently, there is a mix of unique and eclectic genres, blending elements of romance, murder mysteries, and something akin to the whimsical or fantastical world often associated with characters like Mickey Mouse. Here's a list of genre combinations that might interest you:

1. Dark Fairy Tale Romance: Romance entwined with grim, fantastical elements, reminiscent of twisted fairy tales.
  2. Whimsical Noir: A blend of murder mystery and whimsical, cartoon-like elements, creating a surreal, darkly humorous world.
  3. Animated Crime Romance: Love stories set in a vibrant, animated world, mixed with elements of crime and mystery.
  4. Magical Realism Murder Mystery: A genre where everyday reality is interlaced with magical elements, centered around a murder plot.
  5. Retro-Futuristic Love and Intrigue: Romance and murder mysteries set in a retro-futuristic world, combining old-fashioned styles with advanced technology.
  6. Steampunk Whodunit: A murder mystery set in a steampunk universe, where Victorian aesthetics meet futuristic technology.
  7. Gothic Fantasy Romance: A dark and brooding romantic storyline set in a fantastical world with Gothic overtones.
  8. Time-Traveling Detective Love Story: A blend of time-travel, romance, and murder mystery, where characters navigate through different eras to solve crimes and fall in love.
  9. Supernatural Romantic Thriller: A genre that combines elements of the supernatural, romantic tension, and thrilling murder plots.
  10. Whimsical Horror Romance: A quirky mix of horror and romance, set in a whimsically eerie world.

These genres mix traditional elements in unconventional ways, providing a fresh and imaginative take on storytelling.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
hglewis
Community Member

Anthony,

I did a little research, and here's what I've been missing:

Evidently, there is a mix of unique and eclectic genres, blending elements of romance, murder mysteries, and something akin to the whimsical or fantastical world often associated with characters like Mickey Mouse. Here's a list of genre combinations that might interest you:

1. Dark Fairy Tale Romance: Romance entwined with grim, fantastical elements, reminiscent of twisted fairy tales.
  2. Whimsical Noir: A blend of murder mystery and whimsical, cartoon-like elements, creating a surreal, darkly humorous world.
  3. Animated Crime Romance: Love stories set in a vibrant, animated world, mixed with elements of crime and mystery.
  4. Magical Realism Murder Mystery: A genre where everyday reality is interlaced with magical elements, centered around a murder plot.
  5. Retro-Futuristic Love and Intrigue: Romance and murder mysteries set in a retro-futuristic world, combining old-fashioned styles with advanced technology.
  6. Steampunk Whodunit: A murder mystery set in a steampunk universe, where Victorian aesthetics meet futuristic technology.
  7. Gothic Fantasy Romance: A dark and brooding romantic storyline set in a fantastical world with Gothic overtones.
  8. Time-Traveling Detective Love Story: A blend of time-travel, romance, and murder mystery, where characters navigate through different eras to solve crimes and fall in love.
  9. Supernatural Romantic Thriller: A genre that combines elements of the supernatural, romantic tension, and thrilling murder plots.
  10. Whimsical Horror Romance: A quirky mix of horror and romance, set in a whimsically eerie world.

These genres mix traditional elements in unconventional ways, providing a fresh and imaginative take on storytelling.

That's hysterical, Woodrow. Makes me feel like an old sock.

mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Hilarious!  thanks, Woodrow.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths