🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Fun Historical Facts
Page options
d96d46fb
Community Member

Fun Historical Facts

As a student of history, this is undoubtedly my best topic of discussion.

I'll go first, my fun Historical Facts remains, the horse who became a senator in ancient Rome.

Let's share our Fun Historical Facts.

6 REPLIES 6
e93cec6e
Community Member

what a funny history

bf97c28c
Community Member

Hi, Great. It's something fresh, and an interesting topic. 

Isaac Newton's only recorded speech as a member of parliament was a request to open a window.

That's funny and amazing too

A few more

"If Napoleon had been born a year earlier, he would have been Italian. He was born in Corsica in 1769, a year after it was bought by France."

"In 600 BC, the Greek athlete Protesilaus threw a discus 46 meters. His record stood until 1928."

williamtcooper
Community Member

What was the horse's name, what year, and why?

calado-marco
Community Member

That one would be fun if it was true.

Incitatus was never made a senator. Caius Caligula left a really bad memory and when Suetonius wrote De vitis Caesarum, he was basicly trying to justify the fall of the previous Julian - Claudian "dynasty" and uplift the Flavian one.

Also, Suetonius description of the event refers to a "threat" that Caligula made to some members of the senate during a banquet, when he said that his horse would give a better senator than the ones present.

But, here's a real one, also fun:

After the murder of Caligula the Praetorium Guard, composed mostly by germanic soldiers, realized that with the death of Caligula they would lose they're importance and benefits because there was a big chance that the roman senate would go back to nominate a Consul, so with a quick move they elevated a new Imperator, at the time they were the only military force present in Rome .

The fun fact is that they found Claudius hidden behind a curtain, and that's how Claudius became emperor!

Latest Articles
Learning Paths