Highlighted
Robin E Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
21 of 30

best response yet, makes sense and hopefully one of them will react nicely

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
22 of 30

Bro, I escaped apartment life **Edited for Community Guidelines**. I'm never going back.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Aleksandr S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
23 of 30

I'm never going back.

...until your freaking neighbors (that looked nice when you moved in) start listening to the music at nights or talk loudly and cannot be stopped. Until you can't sleep well, because that freaking rooster crows at 4am and at 6am like an alarm, so you have to close windows. Also, some people save money and don't use garbage removal services and simply burn it. Yes, it's illegal, but who cares? Mmm, I like the smell of burned plastic and rubber. And many more funny things.

Of course, you won't encounter this often. But I've heard and read enough of such stories, when people planned to "never go back".

Planning to live on Mars in future. I hope aliens are nicier there.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
24 of 30

Aleksandr S wrote:

I'm never going back.

...until your freaking neighbors (that looked nice when you moved in) start listening to the music at nights or talk loudly and cannot be stopped. Until you can't sleep well, because that freaking rooster crows at 4am and at 6am like an alarm, so you have to close windows. Also, some people save money and don't use garbage removal services and simply burn it. Yes, it's illegal, but who cares? Mmm, I like the smell of burned plastic and rubber. And many more funny things.

Of course, you won't encounter this often. But I've heard and read enough of such stories, when people planned to "never go back".

Planning to live on Mars in future. I hope aliens are nicier there.

haha so true, friend. I have decided to rent for a while so I can move whenever I feel like it. I plan on moving I think next year again. I live on a corner lot and have only one neighbor right now and I'm friends with them. Their other neighbor is **Edited for Community Guidelines** and they apparently fit the stereotype. My neighbor wants to move because of them.

I could tell you some horror stories about my apartment life but suffice to say I know your feels.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
25 of 30

I once lived in a place in London where we had a nice terrace out back, but it was easily accessible from the street and we had to chase trespassers out of there all the time. At one point, a scary bunch of "yoofs" who looked like gang members started hanging out there, drinking and leaving beer cans (and syringes!) behind. We didn't want to confront them or call police in case there were repercussions. 

After 4-5 nights of us cowering inside wondering what to do, my boyfriend at the time (who was an actor), decided to go out and join them. He put on a bathrobe, white socks and sandals, and a pair of nerdy glasses, grabbed a beer, and casually strolled out. He started asking them all kinds of questions in a kindly, grandfatherly way, about how they liked school and what were their favourite sports. (I was watching from the window, trying very very hard not to laugh out loud.) They couldn't get out of there fast enough. The next night they came back, he did it again, and they quickly left again. And that was the end of that.

I highly suggest this approach. Just go out there, join them, chat away and act like a boring weirdo (or get somebody else to do it, since they know you already). It will become a less desirable spot for these people to hang out.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
26 of 30

Christine -- That is BRILLIANT !!!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
27 of 30

Janean L wrote:

Christine -- That is BRILLIANT !!!

I know - I'm sitting here 15 years later, laughing about how my ex had told one leather jacket-wearing thug that he should think about studying computer science, "Cuz I hear that these computer things are really taking off!" Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Aleksandr S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
28 of 30

How smart!

I remembered a way how to stop somebody's loud and unstoppable chat. Just get into the conversation and start asking question: and what he did? and what she said? oh, that can't be happening! etc. Although I've never tried this, I've heard people usually either stop chatting or leave.

I'm going to start drinking beer too then burping and farting. Should be nasty enough for them to leave. Unfortunately, I don't have enough actor skills to talk in a grandfatherly or similar way.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
29 of 30

Aleksandr S wrote:

How smart!

I remembered a way how to stop somebody's loud and unstoppable chat. Just get into the conversation and start asking question: and what he did? and what she said? oh, that can't be happening! etc. Although I've never tried this, I've heard people usually either stop chatting or leave.

I'm going to start drinking beer too then burping and farting. Should be nasty enough for them to leave. Unfortunately, I don't have enough actor skills to talk in a grandfatherly or similar way.

This is reminding me of an approach that was used by 7-11 stores in the city where I grew up to prevent people from congregating and loitering outside: They would set up speakers outside the stores and play LOUD CLASSICAL MUSIC.

Highlighted
Abhishek V Member Since: Nov 8, 2017
30 of 30

Print and stick a "quarantined for public safety" sticker outside our door - it'll keep them all far away.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS