🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » How to handle lack of skills while applying j...
Page options
vital77766688
Community Member

How to handle lack of skills while applying jobs?

Hi all,

I often see jobs that I can do, but there might be technology I have no experience.

For example, a job required python developing skills along with AWS. I've never worked with AWS, but the rest of description looks like I can do the job.

Is there a point to submit proposal on that job? Any other tips, how to deal with it?

2 REPLIES 2
bf97c28c
Community Member

Hello, Vitaliy. This is an interesting question. In my opinion, look at the client's history, if the client has been on Upwork for a long time, have a lot of work with good reviews and these works are done as your skills, then you can offer, why not?

tikus
Community Member

IMO, I think you should still apply, especially if you are good at one of them (quality is always more nice than quantity), for the following reasons:

1) Priority. Some clients may initially prioritize certain skills, for example python development, but may need other skills (AWS) later on, maybe weeks or months later, but client put them together on the advertisement to make it more simple, so they don't have to go through another hiring process. Consequently, you might still be considered and hired even if you specialize in only one of those areas.

2) Budget. Some clients might be looking for freelancers who have 2 or more expertise, but their budget may only allow for hiring someone with one expertise. In such cases, you could still be selected, with the possibility of client hiring another different freelancer at a later stage. Alternatively, the client might decide to stay within budget by hiring two separate individuals for the distinct roles.

Unless they say clearly that they need both skills, all in one, with this note "Don't apply if you don't have those skills". Then I would still apply. While waiting for interview and stuffs, you may want to check out that other skill.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths