cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something about nothing

Community Guru
Richard S Member Since: Mar 12, 2019
1 of 30

So, I see a job I was thinking about applying for, I click on it, read the (scant) details and then scroll down to feedback....Hello, there's been a spat. On his last job he's given the freelancer 1 star, she, in return has given him 1 star and they've both left comments complaining about each other.

I'm intrigued now and click on the freelancer's profile to see what that has done to their JSS. 100%. Jobs in progress 27, money earnt $300k+, hours worked 25,000, hourly rate $8 ("Alexa, how many years is 25,000 hours?" "you must be very bored Richard, it's 3 years"). Okey dokey, so, working an 8 hour day, this person has (approximately) completed 9 years worth of work via the site.

Now I'm (sadly) really, really interested at how successful this person has been, because, you know, it's inspirational stuff for an aspiring freelancer, maybe I can learn something...scroll a bit, scroll a bit, bit more...then I see some feedback on a job and it refers to a company, a team of people and not what they wanted. One Google search later and this company 'specializes in delivering a wide range of technology solutions'. 

I'm not posting for answers, or because I'm annoyed at all, I just found it all interesting. But it seems very odd (even ignoring their JSS score), that a) this is not actually one person and b) they can have stats and figures assigned to them, which presumably, are figures actually accrued by the company that they work for? 

Maybe somebody else feels like typing a few words on a computer screen in reply Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
2 of 30

You mean it's a "personal" profile but used by several people inside a company? Weird. Isn't it?

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
3 of 30

Richard, flag the profile and explain the discrepancies.

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
4 of 30

Once again, an agency posing as a freelancer.  Flag the profile saying exactly that.  I probably flag 10 of these in a couple of weeks.

Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
5 of 30

Mary W wrote:

Once again, an agency posing as a freelancer.

Some even have the nerve to place "we" sentences right in their profile. Good grief!

Community Guru
6 of 30

Richard, flag the profile and explain the discrepancies.

Hi Wendy. No idea how to flag the profile and maybe this sort of thing is all ok with the site if it makes it money so I'm not looking to make an issue where there isn't one?! If others on here, that know better than me can advise that this is against Upwork's TOS, more than happy to take it further.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
7 of 30

User Agreement
Effective June 5, 2019

2.1 RELATIONSHIP WITH UPWORK

(...)

(vii) (...) Freelancers are free to use subcontractors or employees to perform Freelancer Services and may delegate work on fixed-price contracts or by agreeing with their Clients to have hourly contracts for Freelancer’s subcontractor(s) or employee(s). If a Freelancer uses subcontractors or employees, Freelancer further agrees and acknowledges that this paragraph applies to Upwork’s relationship, if any, with Freelancer’s subcontractors and employees as well and Freelancer is solely responsible for Freelancer’s subcontractors and employees.

(...)

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
8 of 30

(...)

(vii) (...) Freelancers are free to use subcontractors or employees to perform Freelancer Services and may delegate work on fixed-price contracts or by agreeing with their Clients to have hourly contracts for Freelancer’s subcontractor(s) or employee(s). If a Freelancer uses subcontractors or employees, Freelancer further agrees and acknowledges that this paragraph applies to Upwork’s relationship, if any, with Freelancer’s subcontractors and employees as well and Freelancer is solely responsible for Freelancer’s subcontractors and employees

Rene, I don't think that covers the issue here, this is a freelancer purporting to work as an individual, but actually works for a company, not a company delegating work to an individual(s) unless I'm missing something.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
9 of 30

Richard S wrote:

(...)

(vii) (...) Freelancers are free to use subcontractors or employees to perform Freelancer Services and may delegate work on fixed-price contracts or by agreeing with their Clients to have hourly contracts for Freelancer’s subcontractor(s) or employee(s). If a Freelancer uses subcontractors or employees, Freelancer further agrees and acknowledges that this paragraph applies to Upwork’s relationship, if any, with Freelancer’s subcontractors and employees as well and Freelancer is solely responsible for Freelancer’s subcontractors and employees

Rene, I don't think that covers the issue here, this is a freelancer purporting to work as an individual, but actually works for a company, not a company delegating work to an individual(s) unless I'm missing something.

I think that you and others are missing the part of the user agreement that I quoted. There is nothing to report here. Freelancers are allowed to subcontract. Period.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
10 of 30

I think that you and others are missing the part of the user agreement that I quoted. There is nothing to report here. Freelancers are allowed to subcontract. Period.

*Sighs* Yes Rene, but are they able to just clearly and deliberately give the impression that they are working as an individual, when clearly they are not?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS