🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » 1
Page options
Paul Albert E Community Member

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Chester O Community Member

Sorry. He sent you a PNG file which is pixelated. Now it is getting complicated. Actually I am a designer and I know vector files can be scaled without loosing quality if what you did was redraw the PNG to vector, then you deserve your payment. Yes he may have the plan to run away with the Ai file, but you are not certain, you still need to deliver work for payment no matter what, we can only hope he actually pays. I will advice you, avoid fixed jobs. I went through this and thank Goodness I have recovered from it. I only do hourly contract now, so no matter what I will get paid. Just try to reason with him and send the illustrator file I believe he will pay you.

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
Chester O Community Member

Lol. It's fine any solution is good as long as it addressed the issue at hand. Working with Ai files are very difficult and time consuming. Creating layers one by one etc. Just be careful next time. I wish you good luck too.
Amanda L Community Member

Paul Albert E wrote:

The client started the whole thing and I never did mistaken his age for he looks older than me.

Correct, client handling is vital and there is always room for improvement whether were speaking about JSS or not.

The depth of how the job is done and the situation particularly Adobe illustrator cannot be much comprehended by someone who has no  background of the job compared to those who have. Thank you for your feedback and constructive criticism. Criticizing just the situation is professional being a guru, but the statement " I am inclined to agree with the client that the "chip" you have on your shoulder, needs to go.", which is outside the topic and opinionated is not professional in any way. 

While I am not a designer by profession, I know how to use Adobe Illustrator. Don't assume that the people commenting do not understand how things work. I think your client was right about the chip on your shoulder. I saw the messages you posted before Goran deleted them, as did others, I believe. You have more than one person telling you that you overreacted to this client and did so poorly. You need to learn some conflict resolution skills and client management skills. This could have been easily resolved if you hadn't gotten so defensive and angry so fast, and simply clarified with the client without being accusatory. 

The depth of how the job is done and the situation particularly Adobe illustrator cannot be much comprehended by someone who has no background of the job compared to those who have. ‐---- My statement is a fact; to make it easier, the hardship of a blind person cannot be as much comprehended by someone compared to those who are also blind. Those who have the actual experience will have more knowledge compared to those who didn't experience. If you know how to use illustrator, then you shouldn't have reacted because it would simply mean that it isnt referring to you.

Since self improvement is a two way process, telling me " I think your client was right about the chip on your shoulder." and the other who spoke the same is unnecessary so allow me to show you also my reply to my client regarding that statement. "I would have acknowledge such statement if you have earned it yourself; otherwise you have no credibility to say it."

If you want to make your own stand, avoid referencing.

with the effort and INTENT to help, thank you, I would just say that if my work is just objective rather than subjective, then your advices and insights would have been the best.

Amanda L Community Member

Paul Albert E wrote:

Since self improvement is a two way process, telling me " I think your client was right about the chip on your shoulder." and the other who spoke the same is unnecessary so allow me to show you also my reply to my client regarding that statement. "I would have acknowledge such statement if you have earned it yourself; otherwise you have no credibility to say it."

If you want to make your own stand, avoid referencing.

with the effort and INTENT to help, thank you, I would just say that if my work is just objective rather than subjective, then your advices and insights would have been the best.

Your responses pretty much illustrate poor communication skills and an attitude towards any feedback/criticism. If you want to improve and not have these situations happen again, you need to work on your communication skills and learn how to receive feedback without throwing insults at people.   You are going to continue to  have a hard time until you start to see how your communication to this client was offputting and hostile.  This advice and insight, just as the ones before, are objective (not subjective - I don't know you, I'm judging merely on what you share)  and intended to help you see how you can improve as a freelancer so these things stop happening to you. Design skills are not the only skills you need to succeed, and anyone questioning that can look here at your story to see that's the case. 

Sadly, I think you're going to disregard anyone telling you anything you don't want to hear. You simply want to be right, even if being right means you eventually fail as a freelancer.  Sleep on it and think about whether you want to be right or successful? 

Also please read my reply to Amanda L. Thank you very much Joanne.

Martina P Community Member

Client management is a skill that can be learned. 

Will L Community Member

Can a client add new milestones to a fixed price project without the prior agreement of the freelancer?

If so, that isn't right. And would be yet another reason to avoid fixed price projects, if you can.

Yes I was suprised he did. Also, once he changed the milestone, I need to submit work for payment again. He can use this technique over and over again before reaching the 14th day unlimited. I was surprised there was no (request change milestone- disapprove button.  I would say it again, this made me feel very uncomfortable and I started doubting the client. Thank you for your response,

Petra R Community Member

Will L wrote:

Can a client add new milestones to a fixed price project without the prior agreement of the freelancer?

Yes, but in this case the client meant well. He added the additional milestone to pay for requested changes.

Will L wrote:

If so, that isn't right. 

We've been telling Upwork that for literally years, to no avail. Even worse, the only way to "undo" such a milestone is to close the contract.

Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Say I just simply don't have the time to do a milestone a long term client added as quickly as they may need it, rather than being able to simply decline it, I have to end the contract just so the client gets their money back....

I see that you are a very trusting person. You believed  every sweet words used to reason an impolite act of changing contract twice without asking the other party or even discussing it before applying the change.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members