🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » 50+ hires. 5 reasons why I reject freelancers
Page options
2bd7a40a
Community Member

50+ hires. 5 reasons why I reject freelancers

I recently put 5 jobs on Upwork and rejected 99% of applicants, obviously destroying people's credits. However, when I visit the community. I see people stating they don't get a response or job. I wonder if this is due to any of my top reasons for rejection:

1. Poor spelling, grammar or hard to read responses.

2. Zero reference to my specific project, instead a generic cut and paste response.

3. One word responses at one extreme. Bulk dumps of text (usually personal statements) at the other extreme.

4. Ignored screening questions. If I have taken time to write screening questions - why would applicants just ignore them or put 'NA'? 

5. Low initiative. E.g. when I provide a template to complete as part of the work. 99.5% of respondents won’t even use it to respond with a work sample.

I don't really have time to go back and individually feed back to people. But I see a lot of people asking the same things over and over. So thought I'd share thoughts. 

Bonus:

- I look at boosted applications. But I don't particularly have a preference for them.

- I specify preferred timezones. If you are outside of that. Apply at your own risk.

- Match the tone/length. If someone puts a brief and specific outline of work required. Send a brief and specific response. If someone puts a detailed job spec. Provide a more detailed (but specific) reponse. 

19 REPLIES 19
yofazza
Community Member

What kind of jobs do you usually post? "Work samples" is often discussed, where it is actually not allowed for a client to request one (we have a flag option specifically for this).

Screening questions are also not very popular among freelancers. Unless if you create your own questions I think.

Personally, I think samples are okay in some occasions. Freelancers are allowed to provide them. In my line of work it's easy to create samples that cannot be used by the client. As for screening questions, I see them as 'okay'.

Thanks for providing those insights.

2bd7a40a
Community Member

Majority are small data entry or internet research pieces. Work samples for me are essential (maybe I use the wrong terminology). 1-2 lines of your work against a template I've given. I need to see the applicants accuracy with data.

yofazza
Community Member

That's what usually discussed here (the data entry, research, lead generation, and similar niche). A "client" can post a research project and ask for a sample of data, where they will get the project done for free. Many freelancers have reported such jobs where samples were requested, but nobody gets hired. I also often see those job posts with 50+ (may be hundreds) proposals and no one hired.

But I understand your reason. Just know that it may deter some real freelancers from submitting.

Just know that it may deter some real freelancers from submitting.

Absolutely. I don't do free work, even if it's to get some supposed job. If my samples and profile are not enough, then find someone else. Every time a freelancer does free work, it destroys a little bit more of the platform.

I don't think we have ever agreed on anything before Jeanne, but I agree with you on this. I don't do free work. I have a portfolio for a reason. I don't do custom samples. I've found that legitimate clients will always ask to set up a paid trial if they want a custom test piece. 

wrote:

Majority are small data entry or internet research pieces. Work samples for me are essential (maybe I use the wrong terminology). 1-2 lines of your work against a template I've given. I need to see the applicants accuracy with data.

If you need to see their accuracy, then you need to ask them to take a paid test. It's a terms of service violation for you to request free work, no matter what your reasons are. I'm surprised that nobody has reported you for this.

First I've heard of a paid test. "Free work" - for 2 lines of data as a sample of their comprehension of the task? The fact I haven't been reported is probably testament that what I have asked for is just common sense - not work.

As Christine said, it's against the Terms of Service, and could cost you your Upwork account. OK, so you hire 50 people to write two lines of code... and there is your job, complete for free. I'm not saying you would do it, but that's one reason the rule is there. Upwork doesn't want to lose money by letting the client get work for free.

The fact that you haven't had a visit from Upwork is because many freelancers ignore the Terms of Service and just want the job. It's not common sense; it's breaking the Terms of Service. Not only that, but having free work, lowers the quality of the platform, brings in more scammers, decreases the money earned, and adds to the people who knowingly break the rules to the detriment of freelancers, clients, and the platform.

However, know that you know, I'm sure you will be setting up the jobs, or hire several people, and evaluate and let go the one who do not do the work well.

yofazza
Community Member

I'm quite certain people have flagged your job posts, but I don't think you need to worry because even more obvious ToS-breaking jobs that are flagged, are mostly ignored by Upwork, especially if the client is real 😅

You still need to consider that you might prevent some good freelancers from submitting.

wrote:

First I've heard of a paid test. "Free work" - for 2 lines of data as a sample of their comprehension of the task? The fact I haven't been reported is probably testament that what I have asked for is just common sense - not work.

No, it's more a reflection of the fact that there are millions of desperate people who'll do virtually anything to get work here. That doesn't make it okay for you to ask.

That same desperation makes people exaggerate their skillset and credentials. That is not something I want to discover after awarding a job. I always ask the same thing to freelancers. How many people have you employed on Upwork? It really does give you a better perspective.

wrote:

That same desperation makes people exaggerate their skillset and credentials. That is not something I want to discover after awarding a job. I always ask the same thing to freelancers. How many people have you employed on Upwork? It really does give you a better perspective.

My perspective is just fine, thanks. Yes, I've hired through Upwork; yes, many people lie about their credentials; and yes, clients need to be careful. I've written numerous posts in which I've complained about all the incompetent and scamming freelancers that Upwork freely allows into this site in unlimited numbers, and begged them to do something about it. The fact remains that you agreed to abide by the terms of service when you signed up for an account, and you're not doing it. Your posts could be flagged as inappropriate and taken down, and repeated offenses could result in your account being banned. It's up to you what you want to do with this information, but it's not something that's up for debate. Talk to Upwork if you think that they should vet their freelancers better (or at all); I'd happily back you up on that.

Also, as Radia pointed out, you're shooting yourself in the foot by requiring a test. Competent freelancers will ignore your job posts, and you'll just be left with the desperate, less skilled ones.

022d98bc
Community Member

I appreciate the way you have described the shortcomings in the work proposals of the Freelancers. The reasons are logical and require serious consideration by community members. 

37acc0a1
Community Member

wow this is really insightful

the-right-writer
Community Member

It's helpful to hear from the client's point of view. Clients don't post often, unless they have a problem. Thank you.

The points 1, 2, and 3 are spot on. It is inexcusable to submit a proposal with basic errors, irrelevant content, and inappropriate responses.

4. Ignored screening questions. If I have taken time to write screening questions - why would applicants just ignore them or put 'NA'? 

Part of the reason freelancers don't want to comply with questions, is because it often indicates a problem client, and the questions are unnecessary because of the proposal.

I don't apply for jobs like that because I offer samples with my proposal, and my credentials. The clients are often cheap, demanding, and not good to work with. If my credentials and work are not sufficient for you hire to me, then don't hire me. Or do a paid test. As a professional, I feel like answering questions is treating me like less than a professional. It ticks me off, and I think, "Really? No."

While this is my opinion, I can tell you no one likes the questions and would prefer you chat with them if you want to talk about the job before hiring, which is fine, through Upwork.

5. Low initiative. E.g. when I provide a template to complete as part of the work. 99.5% of respondents won’t even use it to respond with a work sample.

If you mean respond with material you want, then of course, most won't give you free work. If I'm misunderstanding this point, let me know. It seems like you are asking for the freelancer to use a template to complete work you want? That's a Terms violation.

I will provide an outline or overview of the project before hiring, but I will not provide details. That's how clients steal work. I'm not saying you are, but in your case, why should a freelancer give you free work?

I hope you understand I am not accusing you of stealing work. Unfortunately, most clients are. First and foremost, it is against the Terms of Service to ask for free work. You are missing many great freelancers who are going to go right by when they see those questions. There is even a community thread about it. I think if you remove the questions and mention to attach samples, you will find a better group of candidates.

Thanks for coming back. Hopefully to add some further perspective.

4 - Post a job and you may receive over 30 responses all with different styles of what they feel is important for that job. Screening questions create a focus on specifics that I want to know about. Otherwise, you have a ton of unstructured responses to navigate. It simply is not practical (depends on the job) to get onto a call with all respondents to discover why they did or didn't answer the questions about the position.

5 - If post a job for details of the 100 biggest companies in the world. It is considered free work to send 2 sample rows of data? That, to me, is insane and you probably have little idea on how many fake experiences and skills (e.g. good standard of written English)  freelancers are claiming to have. However, I totally understand if a client is asking you to give them specific design samples for their new logo.

I freelance and I employ via Upwork. So not meaning to be rude, but if you haven’t already done it, I think you would have a better perspective if you try hiring for a few jobs yourself.

I freelance and I employ via Upwork. So not meaning to be rude, but if you haven’t already done it, I think you would have a better perspective if you try hiring for a few jobs yourself.

I do work (volunteer) with clients, and I give them the same tips. And, they work.

I stand by my words about screening questions. I refuse to engage in such things. I have never seen a job I cared about with silly questions. Clients can obtain all the information they need by following the best practices and the tips I included. More importantly, most skilled freelancers will not go near jobs with screening questions, for the reasons I mentioned.

I'm well aware of the issues with freelancers, but if you make problematic posts, you won't get the quality you are wanting. Those questions, as I said, are a sign that, usually, the client will be a pain. They are also not doing their job of vetting the freelancer. Answering the questions is either irrelevant, or giving the client free work. The tips I gave you are valid. Freelancers and clients have to do heavy vetting. Screening questions, are not vetting, and a scammer will have someone, or more often something "AI" - chatbots, do the questions for them.

If post a job for details of the 100 biggest companies in the world. It is considered free work to send 2 sample rows of data?

If you post a job for details on the 100 biggest companies - no one will talk to you. If you mean you are posting a specific job, and you ask for two generic lines of code, that's fine, although I have never heard of a professional hiring that way, either on a platform or in the physical world.

I guarantee you, professionals are not requiring applicants to do part of the job for free, before they are hired. I know headhunters, and I have worked with them, and no one does this except on platforms like this. Samples are one thing, and should be included in the proposal or as part of the CV. It should be samples from the freelancer, unrelated to the specific job.

That, to me, is insane and you probably have little idea on how many fake experiences and skills (e.g. good standard of written English) freelancers are claiming to have.

LOL. Oh, I know millions are fake and fake their profile. Probably almost as many scam clients. Why do you think I keep telling people they must be responsible for themselves and assume everyone is a thief, until proven otherwise?

However, I totally understand if a client is asking you to give them specific design samples for their new logo.

OK, so now you seem to be agreeing with me. If a client wants to see previous work, as long as the freelancer has permission from the client to use it, or they use their own work, it's fine. If the client wants the freelancer to do some new work, for anything, including your project, then it is not OK, and you are asking for free work, a TOS violation. If you want to test a freelancer, post a small, paid job.

aprovado
Community Member

Judging by those listed top reasons, it's clear you'd never see me apply to one of your posts, so you're actually doing us both a favor by saving us the time and effort of a response and rejection.

The stock screening questions I see on postings are usually utterly useless in terms of having anything to do with whether someone can actually complete the work with skill and efficiency. Screening questions are a tactic right up there with 'start your application with the words -yellow pumpernickel- so I know you've read the whole post." Methods like these work best at keeping people like me away, so - at least you're getting some useful 'screening' from that perspective.

As for why you might be seeing N/A as a response, it's either because the respondent isn't up to giving free advice on how they would 'make this project a success', or because the obvious alternative of F/Y is considered unprofessional.

In any case, we all use the platform in whatever way makes us the most happy. Don't let me get in the way.

shanementor
Community Member

I did not know Clients can post in the Freelancer section. Warning to all, perhaps we need to tone down rants about clients LOL.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members