cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8 months after successfully finished contract client wants a refund/legal actions

loyalworker
Ace Contributor
Ivan I Member Since: Nov 13, 2014
21 of 30

Valeria, thank you. You do not have to be sorry, because sorry will not help me or the other freelancers that might find themselves in a similar situation. I understand some clients spent thousands of dollars on Upwork, and maybe you even prefer them. However, Upwork should not become a place where people, both freelancers and clients will come to work knowing they are not protected in certain scenarios. When someone comes to bully you after such a long time after contract has been finished successfully, such client deserves at least temporary account suspension. Again, I understand it is a lot about the money, but think in a long run, and out of the box, please. We all must keep this place enjoyable to come to work to.

loyalworker
Ace Contributor
22 of 30

Update! So as you are aware of, I was recommended again, but this time to reach out to client to try to resolve the situation directly with her. I did what I was told and got in touch. Client is completely ignoring my questions and just focusing on the legal part. Oh, the threats. Stay tuned my beautiful freelancers! I will keep you posted.

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
23 of 30

Ivan I wrote:

Update! So as you are aware of, I was recommended again, but this time to reach out to client to try to resolve the situation directly with her. I did what I was told and got in touch. Client is completely ignoring my questions and just focusing on the legal part. Oh, the threats. Stay tuned my beautiful freelancers! I will keep you posted.

Ivan, the word is recommended. not ordered. It's been 8 months. IMO every time you try to communicate with this client you keep this situation alive. Besides, youi've already tried that. I think it's time to close this and move on. Block this client here and any other place where she is able to communicate to you. 

International law is Very expensive and very hard to enforce. In some cases it can't be enforced. I would put this situation to rest and not think about it any more unless, by some rare miracle on the clients part, you are served. T\hen you can consult an attorney. No need to now as nothing is happening. I feel what this client is doing is to try and scare you with her threats and to intimidate you into doing what she wants. From this point on, do not communicate with her, do not conact her, do not try to negociate anything with her. Move on and forget about this situation. 

loyalworker
Ace Contributor
24 of 30
Kathy, thank you. I am aware of the costs and complexity, but I am no longer sure if everything is just an empty threat. Client did try to get my personal information over Upwork. I guess she wants my info for her solicitor who can then contact me over mail or email. Guess all boils down to Upwork and if they will crack under pressure and disclose my data. Will keep you posted. Thank you my family of freelancers.
abinadab-agbo
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
25 of 30

Hi! Ivan.

The advice you received to not resume communication with such client is the best.

Upwork will release your info if the request complies with it's subpoena protocol, which Valeria referred you to earlier.

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
26 of 30

Ivan I wrote:
Kathy, thank you. I am aware of the costs and complexity, but I am no longer sure if everything is just an empty threat. Client did try to get my personal information over Upwork. I guess she wants my info for her solicitor who can then contact me over mail or email. Guess all boils down to Upwork and if they will crack under pressure and disclose my data. Will keep you posted. Thank you my family of freelancers.

I suspect she wants your address for the time-old tradition of having her solicitor send a threatening letter that means nothing...Still, all empty threats. 

loyalworker
Ace Contributor
27 of 30

Amanda, you are a star! 🙂 Thank you for your opinions and your time. So, if I ever receive such letter, I can just redirect it to trash can?

Tiffany, that is exactly what I did. No more any interaction with the client. Made me sick and tired for nothing.

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
28 of 30

Ivan - If the client and you are in different countries, it's going to be so difficult to enforce anything. Do not communicate AT ALL with this client. Do not contact in any way Upwork about this client. Just move on. If you get a letter. it's a letter. 

I live in the U.S. While playing a friend jumped on my sons arm breaking it to the point where he needed pins in it. It wasn't intentional, but I contacted a lawyer to determine if I could sue the boys mother for medical and hospital expenses. The lawyers , (as a lot of other lawyers) offered free consultation. He wrote a letter to the boys mothers. She wrote back she had no money to pay. and that was the end of the case. 

Don't worry about letters it's part of a lawyers consultation. Worry when you get a summons hand delivered to you which, although I am not a lawyer, I highly doubt it will go that far. It will cost the client especially if in another country much more then she had to pay you for the job.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
29 of 30

Kathy T wrote:

I live in the U.S. While playing a friend jumped on my sons arm breaking it to the point where he needed pins in it. It wasn't intentional, but I contacted a lawyer to determine if I could sue the boys mother for medical and hospital expenses. The lawyers , (as a lot of other lawyers) offered free consultation. He wrote a letter to the boys mothers. She wrote back she had no money to pay. and that was the end of the case. 

Off-topic warning on:

In any of the civilized countries I have lived, there would have been no hospital or medical expenses to pay because civilized countries have health cover for all citizens, so mothers of little boys who play and have accidents don't have to try and sue each other.

Off-topic warning off.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
30 of 30

Ivan I wrote:

If I were you, I would just stop participating in this.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS