🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » A client keeps moving the deadline in which w...
Page options
c2c9c338
Community Member

A client keeps moving the deadline in which we complete their project

First, I'd like to say that on my profile it states I provide revisions to my documents if provided notes within 1 week. After that, I charge per week. Now, I have a client who promised notes last Thursday. Then later that day, promised notes the following morning (Friday). I didn't hear from her all weekend, and I followed up twice. Finally this morning, she responded saying she needs a few more days. This keeps dragging out. I have explained my terms and the client is being unreasonable. I have another client who has done this very thing, but it's been two weeks for her order. How do I file a dispute and get my payment? Or do I have to wait the 4 weeks for Upwork to release it? That's an extreme amount of time to have to wait. They need to pay extra for the extra time. 

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Nicole:

You are talking about matters for which there is no button within the interface, and which Upwork does not want to get involved with.

It is not Upwork's intent that Upwork employees get involved with the deadlines that clients set for freelancers.

If you have completed work as part of a fixed-price contract, then you should immediately click the Submit button. Never wait for a client to "approve" work before clicking Submit.

If the client does, nothing, then all money in escrow will be released to you automatically.

If the client is intentionally blocking you from getting paid, you may need to do this:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068528-Dispute-Non-Release-of-a-Milestone-Payment

prestonhunter
Community Member

Nicole:

It sounds like you are waiting for the client to do something before you can complete your task.

That is not how I work.

My milestones are structured so that I can complete them with zero client feedback or interaction.

This way, I can complete the task and get paid.

If the client dies, or of the client goes on a year-long sailboat cruise without Internet access, I get paid automatically soon after I complete the task.

If your work require information from or interaction with the client, I recommend that you structure your milestone tasks so that such client-dependent interaction takes place BETWEEN milestones.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Or do I have to wait the 4 weeks for Upwork to release it?"

There is no 4-week time period.

If I submit a milestone, and the client does nothing, then Upwork releases escrow money AUTOMATICALLY after 2 weeks.

ericaandrews
Community Member

I see your profile and see that it is very SMART that your terms are clearly on your profile.  It's very simple, if the client did not provide the notes needed for any revisions within the 1 week time-frame, she/he is not entitled to any revisions for the past week but is financially liable for the $30/week owed to you for each week she/he kept making excuses and sitting around doing nothing.  Yes, I would submit any completed milestones you have and request payment, and file a dispute for the remainder of the payment due for any weeks she/he kept you 'on retainer' but didn't provides notes (or refuses to pay completed milestones) and CLOSE the contract with the client if they are not abiding by the terms of the contract agreement. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members