🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » A client requires a direct message to submit ...
Page options
7ed87222
Community Member

A client requires a direct message to submit a proposal. How do I do this?

Hello, 

I want to apply for a job where the client very specifically states in several places that the only way they will review applications is if I send some sample writing to them via Upwork direct message. However, my understanding was that the only way to connect via direct message is if the client sends the message after I have submitted a proposal. Is there something I'm missing here?

4 REPLIES 4
wescowley
Community Member

Rachel S wrote:

Is there something I'm missing here?

No, there's not. I think the client is confused. You could attach some samples to the proposal, or ask them in your proposal to start an interview chat and then you can provide the samples there.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Rachel S wrote:

Hello, 

I want to apply for a job where the client very specifically states in several places that the only way they will review applications is if I send some sample writing to them via Upwork direct message. However, my understanding was that the only way to connect via direct message is if the client sends the message after I have submitted a proposal. Is there something I'm missing here?

Well, you have a portfolio where he can see samples. Or does he expect samples specifically for this job? That would be asking for free work. 

tlbp
Community Member

They are probably just warning people not to contact them outside Upwork. Sometimes freelancers track down a client off-platform and attempt to contact them outside Upwork. 

If a client - perhaps due to poor choice of wording - seems to ask for something that can't actually be done given the physical limitations of the Upwork user interface... Then all potential candidates are similarly unable to follow such an instruction.

So the original poster is not at any disadvantage.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members