🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Access Denied
Page options
vickiie
Community Member

Access Denied

Hello Upwork Community,
I read a job posted about editing a book by a client in Jamaica. One of the requirements before submitting a proposal was to edit a simple chapter which was attached to the posting. I downloaded the chapter, saw that I could do it but according to the requirements by the clients, began to proofread the chapter before I would submit a proposal, at least as proof to show that I could actually do the work.

Unfortunately, by the time I was done, I clicked the posting to submit a proposal and was met with an 'Access Denied' message stating that I had to be invited by the client first. I was distraught. Is there anything I can do at all to get in touch with this client. I would like to actually show them that I can do the work requested with the proof being the chapter I have already proofread and edited. Please I need help with this.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Victoria H wrote:
Unfortunately, by the time I was done, I clicked the posting to submit a proposal and was met with an 'Access Denied' message

The client violated Upwork's terms by asking for free work, was reported and the job post removed by Upwork because of the violation.

Victoria H wrote:
Is there anything I can do at all to get in touch with this client.

No. Nothing at all, and don't work for free again.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

You don't need help with this. You were not even hired.

It sounds like you were working for free.

Don't work for free.

You should not have edited a chapter for this client.

What you should have done is click on. "Flag as inappropriate" and reported the client for asking for free work.

There is no job. There is no client. This matter is over.

If you have questions, feel free to ask your questions here in this thread.

Okay. Duly noted.
petra_r
Community Member

Victoria H wrote:
Unfortunately, by the time I was done, I clicked the posting to submit a proposal and was met with an 'Access Denied' message

The client violated Upwork's terms by asking for free work, was reported and the job post removed by Upwork because of the violation.

Victoria H wrote:
Is there anything I can do at all to get in touch with this client.

No. Nothing at all, and don't work for free again.

tlbp
Community Member

Victoria H wrote:
Hello Upwork Community,
I read a job posted about editing a book by a client in Jamaica. One of the requirements before submitting a proposal was to edit a simple chapter which was attached to the posting. I downloaded the chapter, saw that I could do it but according to the requirements by the clients, began to proofread the chapter before I would submit a proposal, at least as proof to show that I could actually do the work.

Unfortunately, by the time I was done, I clicked the posting to submit a proposal and was met with an 'Access Denied' message stating that I had to be invited by the client first. I was distraught. Is there anything I can do at all to get in touch with this client. I would like to actually show them that I can do the work requested with the proof being the chapter I have already proofread and edited. Please I need help with this.

It is tempting to jump right in and try to land gigs when you are new to Upwork. I did the same. However, if you jump in without reading the available resources about how to use the platform  properly (and how to avoid being scammed) you will suffer the consequences. Start with the posts in the New to Upwork section. 

You must change your mindset. You are not a nice person getting opportunties to earn money from other nice people. You are a business owner operating in an international marketplace populated by strangers who may or may not be nice. The only person who can really protect you from being taken advantage of is you. Learn as much as you can about what can go wrong, so that you can avoid those situations. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members