🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Actually getting gigs
Page options
gabenemor
Community Member

Actually getting gigs

Hello people. 

I hope everyone of you is doing okay?

I've had upwork for sometime now but just recently transitioned into full time freelancing. I love the freedom that comes with freelancing, but the issue is I haven't been able to get a single gig on Upwork. 

I know I'm just trying to break in, and I know I might be doing something wrong without even being aware. 

So yeah, this is a cry for help. I would really appreciate it if some could review my profile and give me one or two pointers as to how I should approach job hunting on Upwork. 

Do have a lovely day ahead and stay safe. All the best. 

Gabriel Enemor. 

7 REPLIES 7
k_pitman
Community Member

I've been on since 2018 and had plenty of jobs, turned some down etc. June & July have been horrible!! I think it's not enough real jobs and too many freelancers now.

ArjayM

Hi Gabriel and Kevin,

We truly appreciate you sharing your feedback here. I've pulled a few resources that may be helpful to you. Check out these articles to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this article.

Visit our Resource Center and sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.

~ Arjay
Upwork
aoswald1113
Community Member

Hi Gabriel,

I'm new here and haven't finished my profile yet; however, I have some experience reviewing resumes. Unfortunately, your overview section is too long. The first paragraph is the most important. The average employer will not continue reading if you don't catch their attention within the first few sentences. Try shortening your overview and changing your first paragraph to include keyphrases relevant to your industry. The best way to find keyphrases is to review jobs you're interested in and pull them directly from the employer's job description.

I liked the bullet points you used; your employment history looked great.

I hope this helps.

Amanda O.

Thank you Amanda, I'll work on that.

charles_kozierok
Community Member

I took a look at your profile. The entire first half of it is generic -- it's the same stuff everyone has.

Why should I hire Gabriel E specifically? Put that at the top of your profile.

Thank you Charles. I tried rearranging my profile to try and highlight that. 

gabenemor
Community Member

Update.

I followed some of the advice given here and I got my first gig on Upwork sometime last month, best part is after the first gig, I got into a long-term contract with the same client. Thank you Amanda O, Arjay M, Charles K for your answers and advice.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members