🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Advice on a client gone quit after the wo...
Page options
jboazman
Community Member

Advice on a client gone quit after the work.

HI. Im sure this question has been asked before but what is yalls advice on a client that has gone quite. I did about 8 hours worth of work and the client said the designs were perfect and that he just needed to show them to his staff and hell get back with me the next day. Its been days and still no word back. Its an hourly job. Do I still get paid in the payment time frame if they never get back?. Im kinda scared he just took the jpeg images i sent him and is going to try and use without paying. Is that possible or am i guaranteed the pay? Any advice will be appreciated. 

9 REPLIES 9
petra_r
Community Member

Jonathon B wrote:

I did about 8 hours worth of work and the client said the designs were perfect and that he just needed to show them to his staff and hell get back with me the next day. Its been days and still no word back. Its an hourly job.

Did you track your time with the Upwork tracker?

jboazman
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

No. I dont like using the tracker as its extremely flawed. 

Jonathon B wrote:

Man, you need to use the tracker when it's an hourly job or a funded milestone when it's a fixed-price job. That's the way to secure payment, if you don't use it you are basically fried.

Sergio S wrote:

Jonathon B wrote:

Man, you need to use the tracker when it's an hourly job or a funded milestone when it's a fixed-price job. That's the way to secure payment, if you don't use it you are basically fried.

Well **bleep** that sucks. The few times iv used it i have had issues with the clients. Its an inacurate system. For example i do a lot of work with pen and paper. I go back and forth from the computer and pen/paper/scanner and the app makes it look like im not working. Does the same with things like downloading fonts and asstes because it takes screen shots. I had a client accuse me of getting paid to "surf the web" becasue it took a screen shot of a font website that had adds on the side. 

petra_r
Community Member

Jonathon B wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Then hourly contracts are a risky proposition.

If you added manual time the client will be charged as usual on Monday, but if they don't pay or dispute, you have no recourse.

jboazman
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Then hourly contracts are a risky proposition.

If you added manual time the client will be charged as usual on Monday, but if they don't pay or dispute, you have no recourse.

Petra-  Well i guess i should just get used to using the app. Im hoping im being over paranoid and the client has just been busy. Thanks for the advice Petra. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jonathon, 

You may want to read up on this help article to know how you can stay payment protected while working on your projects on Upwork. 

You may also want to to check out these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, paying attention to the "Safety First!" section for more information about working safely through Upwork. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Jonathon B wrote:
For example i do a lot of work with pen and paper. I go back and forth from the computer and pen/paper/scanner and the app makes it look like im not working. Does the same with things like downloading fonts and asstes because it takes screen shots. I had a client accuse me of getting paid to "surf the web" becasue it took a screen shot of a font website that had adds on the side. 

I do hand drawing too so I understand. It's a process the app cannot capture. The only way would be to film yourself as a proof 🙂 For that kind of stuff I prefer fixed-price jobs calculating beforehand how much time it would take me to draw, scan, etc. Then I add that to the overall price. If you still go with the hourly jobs I suggest you to always use the tracker even with its flaws, and to avoid being accused explain to the client what you will need to do. If you need to look for assets, search the web, compare fonts, etc. explain everything in advance, or use the memos in every screenshot. It's a pain I know but that's how the process will be transparent for the client.

All you can do now is to wait. Some clients indeed disappear and then come back (once a client answered me back after one month!), in some other cases they go MIA for good, projects change, etc.

Sergio S wrote:

All you can do now is to wait. Some clients indeed disappear and then come back (once a client answered me back after one month!), in some other cases they go MIA for good, projects change, etc.

Thanks for the advice Sergio 🙂 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members