🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Annual Fee
Page options
d47a5f9b
Community Member

Annual Fee

I am new on Upwork and I am just trying to figure out some things. 

I charge an annual fee for maintaining Websites that I create.  How do I bill that on Upwork?  I realize I could charge it 

with the final first bill, but what do I do the next year when it comes around again? 

4 REPLIES 4
Community Member

Remind them a month before year ending and if they do not respond for a month or two, leave a message and don't maintain it anymore

wlyonsatl
Community Member

The safest contract types on Upwork are hourly, not fixed.

You and your client could set up an hourly contract, whose structure could largely depend on the amount of your annual fee and could be renewed/reopened on each year's anniversary date. If you accept payment on a fixed price basis or as bonuses, those payments will not be covered by Upwork's excellent hourly payment protection.

How much do you charge for one year of maintenance?

6bfcdaf8
Community Member

Hi Robin, welcome to Upwork!

Here we have 2 types of pay for the initial work and another type for updates. They are called hourly, fixed price and retainer. 

For the initial building phase of the web site you can use hourly if you dont know how long it may take or fixed price if client doesnt want to take any risks.

For continuous updates you can either ask to be on a retainer (a price that will be paid to you weekly) or you can create one time fixed price contracts each year. Depending on how much you're willing to charge or if client is willing to pay upfront you can chose one that suits better. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

I recommend NOT charging an annual fee, but instead maintaining an hourly contract.

I create and maintain many websites for clients.

That's what I do: I use an hourly contract.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members