🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Are people requiring in-person tasks vetted?
Page options
jaye-rose
Community Member

Are people requiring in-person tasks vetted?

I was offered a job that to me seemed like a suspicious posting.

As a professional who has worked on documentary and scripted TV and film, the job has alarm bells  - Asking a young actress to travel in a van across the country to make a documentary?!
Has the amateur posting this job been vetted? Why isn't he going through talent agencies and appropriate so young actresses are ensured they're protected.

Worse still there is no way to contact UpWork about it other than to report and flag the post.

**Edited for community guidelines**

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Are people requiring in-person tasks vetted?"

No.

re: "Worse still there is no way to contact UpWork about it other than to report and flag the post."

It is not appropriate to contact Upwork or flag a job posting simply because it does not meet your own personal standards or preferences.

If you are not interested in applying to this job posting, which specifies that they are looking for a young adult, then you have the right to ignore it.

Jaye, I don't have time to click on all the links in the job post, but the client has a 60% hire rate, and one 5 star review for a logo for one of the websites he mentions, so I'm inclined to think the job is legit. On the other hand, it's $1000 for more than 4 months of work, so doubt they'll be many takers, at least smart ones, even if it includes snowboarding/skiing, and in fact, he has 64 unanswered invites. I also don't think the client's done himself any favors by asking 5 canned questions at the bottom of the RFP. Cat Tongue

As an experienced professional in the industry they are trying to work in - documentary/tv, I am expressing conern for the "young actress" they are trying to hire.

Not whether I am personally interested in the post. 

I am well aware of how to proceed when interested or not interested.

It'd be remiss of me to not question the post based on what does often happen to young actresses  from posts/jobs like this.

I don't blame you if you not comfortable with something you saw in that job posting.

You should keep in mind that Upwork is NOT a casting website. It is NOT set up for actors.

Clients use this website to hire freelancers to create logos. Or to create websites. Upwork is a general purpose tool intended primarily for hiring people who do computer-based remote work. Upwork currently DOES NOT BLOCK clients from posting jobs intended to hire actors. Upwork currently DOES NOT BLOCk or prohibit "in-person" tasks. Maybe it will block such jobs in the future. But for now, Upwork allows job postings intended to hire actors, but it does not have any sort of "special field set" for such jobs.

And it certainly has no special vetting of such jobs or their clients.

If you would like to suggest changes to Upwork's rules or user interface, then this Forum is a good place to make suggestions. You could use this thread specifically to suggest changes.

As you have seen, you have already had some of your questions answered quickly and accurately here.

Absolutley. UpWork is not a casting website and is not for actors. Maybe UpWork should reconsider allowing jobs like the one to be posted on this platform.

Professional actors, producers and so on use other platforms for on-camera work - NOT UPWORK.

Voice Over work executed remotely (not in person with the client) is very different from an in-person on camera  or recording job and can undertsand that UpWork is a good resource for that type of remote work.

Thanks for you reply and feedback. Just trying to bring awareness and safety to young aspiring actresses.

I have used Upwork to hire over 100 freelancers.

I use it for many different purposes. I HAVE hired actors in the past. I did NOT use Upwork for that purpose. I do not think it is well suited for that purpose.

Although I understand it may not be against the rules technically, it is still quite strange. I don't see any harm in this young lady expressing her concern and warning other women about. If what she is warning us about is wrong What's the worst that could happen. If he is legit then maybe he lost a few possible Candidates for the position. But if she is right then she could be saving lives . So I wouldn't dis-encourage posts like theses. Us gals need to Look out for each other .

Laura R wrote:
Although I understand it may not be against the rules technically, it is still quite strange. I don't see any harm in this young lady expressing her concern and warning other women about. If what she is warning us about is wrong What's the worst that could happen. If he is legit then maybe he lost a few possible Candidates for the position. But if she is right then she could be saving lives . So I wouldn't dis-encourage posts like theses. Us gals need to Look out for each other .

I don't think anyone suggested she shouldn't make a post and warn people, though of course almost no one who might be affected will see her post. 

I think any disagreement you are seeing relates to the idea that Upwork should be in the business of doing freelancers' vetting for them. 

I understand. I can't speak for her as far as the level of vetted she feels the website should be responsible for. Having said that I feel all websites in the US have a certain responsibility for a certain amount of vetting.
If someone posts
Wanted females actresses 18 years old for pillow fight scene. Filmed in my basement. Wear your sexiest pajamas" encouraged to drink while filming and your welcome to sleep over .......
petra_r
Community Member

Laura R wrote:

If someone posts
Wanted females actresses 18 years old for pillow fight scene. Filmed in my basement. Wear your sexiest pajamas" encouraged to drink while filming and your welcome to sleep over .......

Then someone would flag it as inappropriate and it would get removed.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members