cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bids

Highlighted
Kathy S Member Since: Oct 11, 2019
1 of 18
What are tactics others have used for placing successful bids besides adding video content?
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 18

Kathy S wrote:
What are tactics others have used for placing successful bids besides adding video content?

You're a writer, editor and proofreader. How would adding video content help you win bids?

I think the most important part of any proposal are the first 2 lines, which is all the client sees when looking at the list. Do not waste them, they must contain your unique selling point and how hiring you will benefit the client. They also have to have a hook, to make the client want to read more.

It's pretty obvious that the majority of proposals are never opened or read, so if you can't make the client read your proposal, it doesn't matter how good the rest of your proposal is.

Highlighted
3 of 18

One of the suggestions to increase the acceptance of your bid is to include a client-targeted video presentation with your cover letter. The other use of a video is in your portfolio. I got this suggestion through an Upwork training webinar. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 18

Kathy S wrote:

One of the suggestions to increase the acceptance of your bid is to include a client-targeted video presentation with your cover letter. The other use of a video is in your portfolio. I got this suggestion through an Upwork training webinar. 

I really wouldn't bother with that. Too much time and effort. Clients who want to hire a writer will be at best bewildered to get a video... By all means do a profile video, but creating a video presentation for every proposal is overkill. 

Maybe for a HUUUGE contract and when there is enough meaningful info in the job post to create a meaningful video presentattion, but on balance I still wouldn't.

Highlighted
5 of 18
Awesome answer!
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Mariusz O Member Since: Sep 5, 2015
6 of 18

You're a writer, editor and proofreader. How would adding video content help you win bids?

One image (maybe video) tells more than 100 words.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
7 of 18

Mariusz O wrote:

One image (maybe video) tells more than 100 words.

Not in the word biz. At best: decoration. At worst: distraction/annoyance.

Highlighted
8 of 18
I am happy to say I agree with you. The idea of a video was presented in an upwork webinar on increasing successful bids. I was reluctant to take that approach.
Highlighted
9 of 18
I agree.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
10 of 18

IMO, what sells writers is their portfolio. My proposals are very brief and point the prospect to my prior work. In your situation, I would raise my rates and emphasize my subject matter expertise. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS