🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Bonus Issue
Page options
dawoodshahid1997
Community Member

Bonus Issue

Hi,

I recently got hired on a project in which a client asked me to buy a domain for him. The domain is a premium domain costing $159. The client sends me a bonus of $250. But I don't have a release date for the bonus on the most left columns. I communicated that with the client on which client got aggressive and I said that I can create an account and everything and he can go pay directly without wasting time on anything else but he refused which arose a Red Flag for me. I might not have proper knowledge of how bonuses work so if anyone can work. The Upwork team should look into this client profile because the conversation made me suspicious that it can be a scam.

1 REPLY 1
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I recently got hired on a project in which a client asked me to buy a domain for him. The domain is a premium domain costing $159. The client sends me a bonus of $250. But I don't have a release date for the bonus on the most left columns. I communicated that with the client on which client got aggressive and I said that I can create an account and everything and he can go pay directly without wasting time on anything else but he refused which arose a Red Flag for me. I might not have proper knowledge of how bonuses work so if anyone can work. The Upwork team should look into this client profile because the conversation made me suspicious that it can be a scam."

Yeah... Creating an account for the client and HELPING him purchase the domain using his own credit card is the right move.

If there's a client I have worked with for a long time and know well and trust, then I might purchase a domain name on his behalf.

But for an unknown client? I would assume this is a scam.

What is a bonus payment? It is supposed to be a payment that a client spontaneously pays you to show appreciation for your work.

If you receive a bonus payment, does that mean the money is real and verified and safe?
No.

Scammers use bonus payments based on stolen credit cards to scam money out of freelancers, and then the bonus payment is clawed back by the credit card company, and the freelancer is left having lost money.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members