🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Boosted Profile Option - Does Upwork Really H...
Page options
penngrp
Community Member

Boosted Profile Option - Does Upwork Really Have The Client's Best Interest In Mind?

When I look at my last 5 sent proposals I see that 4 of them were never viewed. I understand that this is normal, but two of those proposals I was was very familiar with the work in question, as I had several previous projects with similar clients. Now, here is how I envision the process. I send my lone proposal, which by the way is exactly what the personis looking for, and at the perfect price.

However, when the job was posted Upwork immeadiately sent out its computer generated suggested freelancers. Next, it then provided the client with the names of individuals who boosted their profile (how many boosted profiles are shown by the way?), and then the client is presented with the boosted proposals. (Maybe not in this particular order)

So, now after all of these things have been presented the client will then be given the chance to look look at my proposal. Now, I am fairly confident that Upwork does not exactly shine spotlights on those proposals that were not boosted in any way, and I am also extemely confident that 80% or more of the client's think that freelancers suggested by Upwork have been personally approved by Upwork.

So now back to my proposal. Sure, I could boost it, but let's look at that process, We see a job that requires 16 credits, and for the most part it is woefully under budget. So, now we have to decide if the client can be convinced to provide a more realistic budget. In anycase, we submit a bid. I am not sure what the boosted amounts are, so the one's I am using might be very low, but you'll get the idea. Initial connects required 16, boosted profile 20, boosted proposal 20.

So, that is 56 connects just to be in the game, and let's not forget we still have to contend with Upwork's reccomended freelancers. Now, I don't want to here any comments about the cost of doing business in the real world, because I also secure client's in other ways, and to be honest in many instances it is more budget friendly. In addition, clients secured through other channel have more familiarity with actual budgets.

Look, Upwork used to be very good, and even now it has its good moments. However, in my humble opinon, it is comming up with too many gimmicks. They might increase the bottom-line quickly, but in time will be the eventual demise of the company has experienced freelancers who don't want to  pay-to-play are overlooked and inexperienced individuals are hired in their place. Such things will not put a positive light on Upwork.

9 REPLIES 9
fcda85df
Community Member

I totally agree! I have been boosting my profile, proposals and project catalogs but none of them are being viewed by clients at all.

tlsanders
Community Member

This question is raised in different forms constantly. "Does Upwork have the client's best interests at heart?" "It seems like Upwork doesn't care about freelancers." "Does Upwork even think about what freelancers want?"

Personifying Upwork will mislead you every time. It's a corporation. It has no capacity to "care." It has no heart to have things at. It's sole purpose for existing is to make money, and now that it's a publicly traded corporation, it has a legal obligation to try to maximize profits. 

These are the wrong questions. The only one that matters is "Is Upwork, as it is, profitable for you?" If the answer is yes, stay. If it's no, look elsewhere. Caring is not going to be part of the package.

kkears
Community Member

Tiffany S wrote:

The only one that matters is "Is Upwork, as it is, profitable for you?" If the answer is yes, stay. If it's no, look elsewhere. Caring is not going to be part of the package.

If the forum only allowed one reply to every post, this would be the response to about 90% of them.

penngrp
Community Member

Is it profitable for me, well I have made about $80,000 on here, so yes it has been profitable. However, the question now is could it be more profitable? I do look elsewhere by the way, as a person would be a fool to simply rely on Upwork.

Sure, it's smart to ask whether it could be more profitable, and to give it less time (or none) if it is less profitable than other channels you could be devoting that time to. But, ask that question in regard to what changes you could make to improve profitability, not which ones Upwork could make. Their interests are not aligned with yours. 

It has a legal obligation to try to maximize profitsI don't think that is an accurate statement. Yes, an objective would be to maximize profits, as would aother to remain in operations. However, to my knowledge they are not legally bound to maximize profits to shareholders. As an example with your line of thinking a tire company using an inferior type of rubber would be successful because it has increased its quarterly profit. Howeever, this would only be short term due to the number of defectiive tires being returned, as well as potential lawsuits due to accidents being caused by the tires in question, not to mention the backlash of negative publicity. 

A corporation has no capacity to care - This is from the company's Core Values - We continuously look to build a culture where our community is put first, we inspire a boundless future of work, are surrounded by an amazing team, and have a bias toward action -- both inside and outside our company. The folks who make up our corporate and independent tapestry are all charged with carrying these tenants out every day. Our Upwork community is our heart, our pride, our inspiration, and our compass.

"Is Upwork, as it is, profitable for you?" - Not as much as it could be, and I project it will not get much better if Upwork continues on the course it seems to be heading.

It's true that the US Supreme Court softened that requirement in 2014. To show you how strongly-established the obligation is, the mere statement that "corporations are not required to maximize profits at the expense of all else" reverberated through legal and business circles as a major development. 

Your tire analysis is right on point, since of course all of those bad things you mention could negatively impact the value of the company. At Upwork, unfortunately, the value of the company finally started rebounding with increased connect costs and boosts and such--because they're making a lot more money. Though it's come back down a little now, stock prices jumped from about $8 in May to about $15 in August--in other words, while thousands of freelancers were here talking about how Upwork had made it's fatal mistake and would likely go bankrupt, the company's alue nearly doubled in a few months. 

You'll note that I said nothing about a particular quarter. Maximizing value can be and often is a long-term proposition. 

If you actually believe that a marketing-driven statement of values means that a legal entity with no human characteristics has values, inspiration and a heart, I just don't know what to tell you. It may not be safe for you to try to operate in the business world. 

atreglia
Community Member

Jeffrey, you are correct.  Publicly held corporations do not have a legal obligation to try to maximize profits; anything else is a smokescreen, and a repetitive one at that, for what’s really going on here.   And, of course a corporation has the capacity to care; maybe not this one, but to the best of my knowledge corporations are still run by human beings with a varying capacity for human compassion, greed, and error.  I find it reprehensible that this company’s core values still read as they do.

ritecraft
Community Member

I agree. I also see that many clients don't even bother to see the proposals any more. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members