Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Both Freelance and Client used the same laptop

marc_compte
Ace Contributor
Marc C Member Since: Apr 21, 2021
11 of 24

Christine A wrote:

Marc C wrote:

I understand. But he also said it was a genuine customer walking in, not a brother/pal. I can't just assume he is lying on the genuineness of the contract only because he admitted the obvious (that he wants to build-up the profile, like everyone else when starting).

 


Then you should ask yourself what you would have done in the same situation. Imagine that you run such a well-established business that you have a bricks-and-mortar office in which you can get customers who simply walk in off the street. (If that were me, I wouldn't be on Upwork in the first place, but what do I know.) A client comes in and you do a job for him. Wouldn't you then simply ask the client to pay you, since he's sitting right there in your office? Or would you hand the customer your computer, ask him to go through the process of registering a profile and hire you that way (which I, as a client, would find extremely bizarre and a waste of my time), and force them pay additional, unnecessary exchange rate charges by paying in U.S. dollars instead of the local currency? Do you seriously think that a geniune client would agree to this?

 


Marc C wrote:

He could have given back the $20 on site and they could just be not very good at faking.

 


That would be the more likely explanation.


Yes, I do agree it looks very suspicious. All I'm saying is people should be innocent until proven guilty and not the other way around. As you say, "what do I know" about how people work and make business in Pakistan? nothing. Just because I wouldn't do something in a particular way, it doesn't mean everyone claiming to do differently than me are liars.

 

And, as Petra said, it doesn't matter what I think. My place here is not to judge and decide if someone is guilty or innocent, that is Upwork's job. What I can do is assume everyone is telling the truth and give my opinion about it. I think that is better than assuming they lie just because they do something I don't understand.

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
12 of 24

Marc C wrote:

My place here is not to judge and decide if someone is guilty or innocent, that is Upwork's job. What I can do is assume everyone is telling the truth and give my opinion about it.

That's exactly everyone has been doing - giving an opinion about it. If the OP didn't want any opinions, I don't think that he would have posted his question in a public forum. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 24

Marc C wrote:

. But all of that is still not enough for me to conclude anything.


Upwork suspend people for those stunts all the time. I have little to no interest in whether the story is accurate as told or not.  It's better not to get suspended  in the first place by not pulling such stunts than get suspended and then trying to clear your name with "the guy randomly walked in from the street so I made him create an Upwork account on my computer and hire me" stories... So even if I WERE willing to believe the story, it doesn't really matter

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
14 of 24

Marc C wrote:

I understand. But he also said it was a genuine customer walking in, not a brother/pal. I can't just assume he is lying on the genuineness of the contract only because he admitted the obvious (that he wants to build-up the profile, like everyone else when starting).

 


I have some swamp land in Florida to sell you.

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
15 of 24

Jennifer M wrote:

Marc C wrote:

I understand. But he also said it was a genuine customer walking in, not a brother/pal. I can't just assume he is lying on the genuineness of the contract only because he admitted the obvious (that he wants to build-up the profile, like everyone else when starting).

 


I have some swamp land in Florida to sell you.


All land in Florida is swamp land. Or as we prefer to call it "marsh land".  

navidzafar
Community Leader
Navid Z Member Since: May 19, 2021
16 of 24

Marc, I am really thankful for your positive thinking and understanding my stance well.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
17 of 24

Navid Z wrote:

Good day,

 

Few days back a walk-in customer came to me and asked to file his Tax return. I told him about Upwork and asked to do it through Upwork platform so that I could build my work profile.

He created his account, posted a job and paid funds using the same laptop that I used for completing the assignment.

It was a geniune and fair transaction. 

My concen is:

1- Is there any violation of Upwork Term of Services?

2- Is it ok if a Freelancer and a client use the same Laptop?

 

Thanks


lmao god I love Upwork forums on Sundays.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
18 of 24

Regarding the question about why this is inappropriate regardless of if this was a genuine client or not...

 

The technical term is avoiding the "appearance of impropriety."

 

Anyone interested in the topic can do a Google search.

 

That is the phrase used widely in business and legal literature. You can also research the "sin of scandal," to use the Catholic phrase. Essentially the same thing.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
19 of 24

Jennifer M wrote:


lmao god I love Upwork forums on Sundays.


especially JSS Sundays.😈

__________________________________________________
"No good deed goes unpunished." -- Clare Boothe Luce
marginhound
Active Member
John H Member Since: Apr 26, 2020
20 of 24

In fairness, I'm about 95% sold on just pushing everything through Upwork. Dealing with my first off-platform clients right now and collections and contracting is an annoyance.  Finding it easier when we've got escrow, standard rules, and options for handling client drama beyond pre-payment and asking nicely...

 

But then again, my clients can afford their own laptop...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS