🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Bullied out of your hard earned money??
Page options
viljoendm1
Community Member

Bullied out of your hard earned money??

Please join the uproar in getting these pieces of **Edited for Community Guidelines**, called upwork to be held accountable for the money they steal from us with every payout!   Ever noticed your exchange rate is lower than the going rate at that very time on, say a quick google search?  This is UPWORK shaving off your hard earned money!!!   Why is the time they claim the exchange rate always hours earlier than the transaction time? We are living in a era with direct and quick access to international exchange rates, why are they using a fictatious earlier time and not the real time?  Because this distracts you just enough to think oh maybe the rate took a dip two hours ago.  But PEOPLE please go check the actual rate with a quick google search:  it hasn't dropped as low as the rate they are offering at all that same day!  Guess what - this small, seemingly insignifficant underpayment is pocketing them hundreds of millions each month.  AND THIS IS YOUR MONEY **Edited for Community Guidelines**   Above and beyond their silly "connects" system and their service charge and their cut ontop of your earnings.   NO NO NO NO NO TIME TO BRING THIS TO THE FRONT PAGES.  UPWORK YOU WERE WARNED!! **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Have you ever considered electricity categorizes as boomer?
8 REPLIES 8
ee24e9ff
Community Member

OK sir

erinvega2016
Community Member

The exchange rate is set through Upwork's bank and not Upwork.

Since you are a freelancer and now know that the exchange rate is going to be different, instead of blaming Upwork take this into consideration when submitting your proposal to the client. 

d9fc6d8d
Community Member

Instead of writing an angry thread, you can always do something about it and leave the platform.

spectralua
Community Member

USD payments works. Your bank allow only local curency?

yofazza
Community Member

The rate is low but not extremely-low especially when it's only $400.

For me, their direct bank transfer has better rates than doing it through PayPal or Payoneer.

Or did you get charged $30 for transfer fee? In that case you should research other options before doing the next withdrawal.

And btw you got many jobs as a new freelancer. Many people will envy you. How many connects did you buy on April?

Thats interesting, even with the direct bank transfer fee its still cheaper for you or are you saying that you dont have the $30 fee?
I sort of did some rough math and found Payoneer to be cheaper but if you have any advice on how i can lower these fees would appreciate. - i have three options available - direct, payp and payo

The 'direct to local bank' in my account does not have the $30 fee. There's another option I can use to transfer money to the same bank that has the $30 fee, it's called 'wire transfer'.

The 'direct to local bank' one only has a $0.99 fee. It has its own exchange rate but is still better when everything  of it are compared with PayPal/Payoneer. PayPal/Payoneer also has their fees, and their own exchange rates.

A better option I've heard is to combine 'direct to US bank' (do you have it?) and Wise, but afaik this involves creating a Wise' USD account and I don't have the willingness to test it out yet.

People have sent me money through Wise and I can say their exchange rate is the best for 'online/popular money transfer service' (not sure what to call them). In my experience their rates were beaten only by a client in UAE who did a direct bank to bank transfer from their local bank to mine.

6bfcdaf8
Community Member

OP thinks let's say 100 dollars in the US can magically turn into South African Rands and appear out of nowhere on the other side of the world. And this is probably the first ever international money transfer of OP.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members