🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » CAD/ Engineering Software Licenses (Profile P...
Page options
68f9b305
Community Member

CAD/ Engineering Software Licenses (Profile Perks)

Hi, As it is too costly for freelancers to afford the hefty amounts of ~ $2500/ annum for CAD/ Engineering software licenses in order to enable them to work on these type of projects. I would kindly suggest if Upwork can include each license type 'temporary access', along with the project or ask the client for mandatory inclusion or same amount of fees. 

Thanks, I am looking forward to a favorable response.

Ijaz Ali
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
68f9b305
Community Member

Hmmm... that's interesting. I think you are right. I prefer proper working envronment. Even if I can remake that at home, I get bored and tend to lose interest. Maybe, I should switch back to a fulltime job...

Ijaz Ali

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
PradeepH

Hi Ijaz,

Thank you for your suggestions. Currently, there are no plans to cover any software license cost by Upwork. Freelancers should take into account all the related costs including the software license while applying for jobs. 

- Pradeep

Upwork

Thanks for your kind suggestion. But, that will make the whole proposal too expensive for the client to accept. Specifically, for small projects worth approx. $50, only!. Therefore, it will be much better if Upwork makes a corporate level agreement with these software companies and make temporary availibility for the chosen freelancer, based on the number of hours required. As it is already too expensive to purchase and spend upto 16 connects for a $10 project, only ..!

Ijaz Ali
elisa_b
Community Member

Every freelancer has to pay for their own tools. Upwork is not our employer, and the clients we find here are not either.

You are asking for CAD, can you imagine if everybody here demanded a special license for their own software too? 

68f9b305
Community Member

Yes, I can. There's a monthly license for $100, only !... than there are corporate license much cheaper than that... can you imagine the amount of profit Autodesk and other professional software companies would make if the client have to pay the license fee for each project. That will also save the freelancers from a lot of trouble and mishaps with using alternative cheap/ freeware software.

Ijaz Ali
grimesr
Community Member

If you were to build a new house and had 2 contractors to choose from and 

Contractor A has power tools, a utility trailer with various nails, bolts...

Contractor B has a tool belt with a hammer and saw and a few other tools

Which would you choose? I wouldn't choose B and tell her/him I will buy them a new set of power tools. If you want the work, you need to have the tools to do the job.

68f9b305
Community Member

Understood, but I am not a contractor. I am a freelancer in this case and the platform protects my rights against the huge amount of fees deducted from my earnings.

Ijaz Ali
grimesr
Community Member

Were do you get such an idea of what the platform does or doesn't do. I think you need to get real and understand what Upwork is here for.

elisa_b
Community Member

That's how freelancing works, you need to pay for your own tools. You cannot expect to get them for free. A regular corporate job would suit you better if you are not able or willing to sustain such expenses.

68f9b305
Community Member

Hmmm... that's interesting. I think you are right. I prefer proper working envronment. Even if I can remake that at home, I get bored and tend to lose interest. Maybe, I should switch back to a fulltime job...

Ijaz Ali
grimesr
Community Member

If you don't have the tools to do the job, what makes you an expert qualified to do the job. You might get lucky and the client will provide some level of access, but that will cost them money. If this is something you do all the time, then you should have the tools to do the job.

As Elisa states below, Upwork is not your employer, thus they have no responsibility to provide anything.

68f9b305
Community Member

Thanks for your comment but that's exactly what I would like to ask every freelancer on this platform. In my case, I draw my expertise from around 17 years of professional experience working full time with some of the well known MNC's and government departments on megascale projects. When I compare this to a full time job, I see no consideration for previous experience, educational qualifications, commitment and no provision of necessary equipment and tools, work environment etc... which is why I created this post. There should be some ethics to freelancing, as well. Otherwise, it becomes a curse, in disguise. If you allow people to keep posting projects and let other work for them with whatever terms and conditions. They will stop at nothing.... there's a good reason why so many labor laws, rules and regulations are put in place. I hope you find my thoughts insightful. 

Thanks,

Ijaz Ali
bobafett999
Community Member

Get over it.  If you want to bid on a job you must have talent, experience and tools to do the job.  

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members