🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can I end a contract even if one milestone is...
Page options
dsuzee
Community Member

Can I end a contract even if one milestone is already funded?

Long story short, I'm working with a client who is asking more than the job entailed and doesn't seem to understand the intricacies of what the extra work she's asking of me entails. 

I did the job asked of me, and I really don't care if I get the money for it or not, I'd just like to end the contract because there are countless revisions to the work I'm doing that were not in the job description. 

So, if I end the contract on my end, will she be refunded? She set two milestones, I didn't use the "submit work for payment" button, just sent her the file on chat. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Can I end a contract even if one milestone is already funded?"

Of course.

A client may end any contract at any time.

A freelancer may end any contract at any time.

You are the freelancer.

If you want to end a contract immediately, all you need to do is to navigate to the contract listing, click on the "Three Dots" icon, and choose the dropdown option to "Close contract" or "End contract" or "Cancel conctract."

If there is any money in a funded escrow payment, you may be notified that ending the contract will refund the money back to the client. That is fine. You may end a contract like that, and there is nothing that the client can do to prevent you from doing so.

If there is a funded task, and you have already done the work for that task, then go ahead and use the "Submit Work and Request Payment" button.

But you said you don't care about the money, so maybe this doesn't apply to you. But you said you DID the work for the milestone already. I think it would be worth your time to simply use the "Submit Work and Request Payment" button.

The if the client does NOTHING, you will get paid AUTOMATICALLY.

If the client asks for any changes, then you can tell her:
"Beatrice: Thank you for your note. I have completed the task specificed in the original agreement. At this time you may choose to release payment, and keep the work that I have done, or I can refund all of the money and I will retain ownership of the work. If I retain ownership, then I may put the work in my portfolio. According to Upwork's rules, you would not be allowed to use it. I will go along with whichever choice you make. If you want me to work on other tasks, then you would need to release the current milestone payment first."

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Can I end a contract even if one milestone is already funded?"

Of course.

A client may end any contract at any time.

A freelancer may end any contract at any time.

You are the freelancer.

If you want to end a contract immediately, all you need to do is to navigate to the contract listing, click on the "Three Dots" icon, and choose the dropdown option to "Close contract" or "End contract" or "Cancel conctract."

If there is any money in a funded escrow payment, you may be notified that ending the contract will refund the money back to the client. That is fine. You may end a contract like that, and there is nothing that the client can do to prevent you from doing so.

If there is a funded task, and you have already done the work for that task, then go ahead and use the "Submit Work and Request Payment" button.

But you said you don't care about the money, so maybe this doesn't apply to you. But you said you DID the work for the milestone already. I think it would be worth your time to simply use the "Submit Work and Request Payment" button.

The if the client does NOTHING, you will get paid AUTOMATICALLY.

If the client asks for any changes, then you can tell her:
"Beatrice: Thank you for your note. I have completed the task specificed in the original agreement. At this time you may choose to release payment, and keep the work that I have done, or I can refund all of the money and I will retain ownership of the work. If I retain ownership, then I may put the work in my portfolio. According to Upwork's rules, you would not be allowed to use it. I will go along with whichever choice you make. If you want me to work on other tasks, then you would need to release the current milestone payment first."

This is so helpful! Thank you so much.

Danielle:
I wish you well.

I think that you are working with a client who does not understand or respect the fixed-price contract model. That happens.

Note that if you end up clicking the Submit button and getting paid, that does not obligate you to continue working for the client.

If I was in a situation like this, I would NOT do any more work for the cient until she released the escrow payment. Then, after I was paid, I would close the contract. If I was willing to continue working for the client, I would only do so through an hourly contract.

Thank you Preston for your response. 

So the client is able to switch from a fixed price contract to an hourly one if need be? 

re: "So the client is able to switch from a fixed price contract to an hourly one if need be?"

The client can not convert a fixed-price contract to an hourly contract. (Or vice versa.)

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062368-Switch-Contract-Type-Hourly-or-Fixed-Price

But the client can hire you using a new hourly contract.

4c414e4c
Community Member

Hello Upwork community, pls my buyer just approved my milestone, is it safe for me to end the contract now?..would the funds still be with me and not get refund to her?.

Hi Dharniel,

Thank you for reaching out to us. You may end the contract once the client releases payment for the milestone. Although we highly suggest that you communicate this well with your client, make sure they don't need any revision to end the contract on a good note.

~ AJ
Upwork
4c414e4c
Community Member

Hi, I'm currently having problem with my adding my preferred payment method (Geegpay).. Upwork keep rejecting it saying the name doesn't match... meanwhile they are the same...what can I do to fix this

Hi Dharniel,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked and it seems that you already created a support ticket for the issue you are experiencing. Please allow more time for our team to review your case and respond accordingly to your ticket. You will be notified of their response.

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members