cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t get my first job for two years

bonyanya
Shaha S Member Since: Apr 27, 2019
1 of 20
So I’ve been registered in upwork for more than a year and have been applying to jobs in two specialities. No one replied to my proposals and I stopped appying.

Recently I came back and started applying actively, but after so many proposals nobody is even interviewing me. I know there’s a lot of competition and other people have good feedback and reputation, so of course clients prefer them over me, but how am I supposed to get a feedback if no one even interviews me?
I don’t think I’m that incompetent...

Also I always give a good price, last time I offered to complete a 50$ project for just 10$.
Is something wrong with my profile?
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 20

Bonya:

I don't know that there is anything wrong with you or your profile.

Your speciality is interior design. Honestly, most people hire interior designers locally. Similarly to how they hire chefs and landscapers.

bonyanya
3 of 20
But It also applies for jobs that require only drafting in AutoCad (nothing special), which is basically like abc to me, and I do have professional technical drawings which I always send in proposals, but still no one replies. even if I offer five times less the price (just to get my first job at least)
ahmad_hakim
Seyed Ahmad P Member Since: Mar 28, 2017
4 of 20

Hi Bonya, 

I looked over your profile, and I think you're off to a good start.
It took me about a two months to land my first contract. So patience is key!

One thing I wish I knew back when I started was the importance of a proper proposal. When you hand in a proposal, it should be to the point and not more than a handfull of sentences. State why you are applying for the position, your previous expereinces, and leave it at that. 

Hope this helped! 

Ahmad 

mystudiomke
Community Guru
Lila G Member Since: Dec 4, 2017
5 of 20

I disagree, there are many successful interior designers on this platform and is not just a local thing - is a talent thing.

So my question to you is, what do you put in your proposals? Let's say is an interior design job for a 10k sq.ft. restaurant, they need conceptual design + visuals. With that little information (which unfortunately most posts are like), how would you respond? I ask this because I don't think it's an issue with your profile, it could be the way you're responding.

Lila
bonyanya
6 of 20
Thanks for your reply, Lila.

This is one of my proposals where the job was to create a 3D model out of 2D drawings.

This is definitely something I can do (thats what I do actually) and I was sure that I would get answered. I also gave a good bid. But no reply..
mystudiomke
Community Guru
7 of 20

There you go Shaha - your proposal could be the issue.

This is how I read it:

hi, would like to work on your project,

Then is me, me, me, me, me....

Next paragraph is me, me, me, me. 

Again you touch base on the project proposing a timeline based on what? then you go back saying depending on your schedule.

Then again me me me me

Over 3/4 of your proposal was blabbing about you. You didn't ask any more question about the project itself - just noted: "I would like to work on your project". You didn't ask their timeline you suggested a timeline yourself. Here is my advice to you, take the opportunity to only talk about the job.

When a client receives a proposal it shows your profile and above the work history is your proposal. So before a client can see your proposal they can peek at your bio which talks about you (as it should for our category). So you see the issue, your proposal just repeated everything in your bio. Doesn't show me you're interested in the job....move on to the next freelancer.

Without knowing what the post is about this is what I would have written.

Hi (clients name if there is one in its history),

I see you're looking for assistance with photorealistic visuals for ___________(name of the project or anything else noted in the post)

I am interested in hearing more about your project vision, goal, timeline and deliverables. I would be happy to take a look further at your information, see how I can be of assistance and provide a best approach.

I have attached similar samples to this proposal for your review. For these visuals, I utilized CAD, 3Ds Max, and Corona to get a high-quality finish. If you have any questions for me, please feel free to let me know. I look forward to hearing more about your project.

Thank you for your time,

This talks about their project and you're asking for more information to review. Your proposal speaks about their job, your profile speaks for you. The icing on the cake, add examples of similiar portfolio for their review.

Hope this help.

Lila
bonyanya
8 of 20
Thanks a lot, Lila.

I can see the issue now. I actually didn’t realize how important it is to talk about the project, not about you and your experience... I’m kinda shocked hehe.

Will take steps to improve my proposals. Hope for the results.

Thanks again!
mystudiomke
Community Guru
9 of 20

I know - when I learned it myself I was shocked too! Anyways happy to help. I also sent you a private message on here with more resources on writing proposals.

Lila
tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
10 of 20

Your problem is probably less about your technical skills and more about your marketing skills. If you want to be a successful freelancer, you need to study marketing. Learn how to identify your ideal client and pitch to them. 

Offering to do a $50 job for $10 just says that you are cheap, not skilled. Yes, there are clients that only care about cheap. But those clients have plenty of unskilled people to choose from. If you have talent, then find a way to target the clients who are willing to pay for talent. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS