🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Canada Sole Proprietor GST issue
Page options
f5a5a876
Community Member

Canada Sole Proprietor GST issue

Hi there,

I'm trying to open a ticket to move forward with this, but there doesn't seem to be any option to contact Upwork customer service anywhere. So here's the issue:

Upwork is asking me for tax information, which I understand for their W-9/W-8 forms to comply with the IRS on their end. However, it's also asking for GST information, which doesn't make sense in my case since I won't be registering for GST for the next few months as I don't legally have to (Validated by professional accountants). So I don't need to charge GST to my clients at all. That's the way it's going to be for the next few months.

There was an option to say "I don't have a GST number", but now I can still see this message:

Screen Shot 2023-10-10 at 8.33.59 PM.png

But I don't have to charge GST at all in my case. At least not for the next few months.

Can I still conduct business or are funds going to get frozen?

Please advise.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Jean-David,

I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JoanneP

Hi Jean-David,

I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
f5a5a876
Community Member

Ok thank you Joanne, I appreciate the help.

f5a5a876
Community Member

So it was more or less explained that it won't affect the funds, just when I would purchase services from Upwork the GST will be calculated as I'm a consumer as opposed to a business (until I register for GST and add the number in the Upwork settings).

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members