🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Canceling a fixed price contract
Page options
aleksova_daria
Community Member

Canceling a fixed price contract

Hi, I'm new to Upwork, and I have just accepted my first fixed-price contract, which seemed like a very simple job. However, I wasn't able to do that job because it was Facebook-related and some Facebook profiles including mine, didn't seem to have that option. I have explained it to my client and she also said that for some profiles that option is not available. 
So my question is what happens if I end the contract? Would I still be paid and how should I return that money? Is it better for me, that I end the contract or my client? Will this affect my JSS and can the client give me bad feedback?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Daria A wrote:

Thank you for your answer. I was supposed to give feedback for a Facebook ad, however, that option wasn't available on my Facebook profile.  

Such jobs are not allowed. Think about it, It's basically fraud by manipulating Facebook's algorithms. Doing this violates both Facebook's and Upwork's terms of service.

Stay WELL clear of anything that involves leaving reviews, they are almost certainly forbidden. It's also obviously completely unethical.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
petra_r
Community Member

Daria A wrote:

So my question is what happens if I end the contract? Would I still be paid and how should I return that money? Is it better for me, that I end the contract or my client? Will this affect my JSS and can the client give me bad feedback?

No, you won't get paid (and you shouldn't get paid because you didn't do the job)

It is better for you to close the contracts, as the client may not leave (private) feedback that way. The contract would only affect your JSS if the client leaves poor (private) feedback.

If the job was to leave some kind of review, then that would not be allowed anyway.  What were you supposed to be doing using your own Facebook profile?

Thank you for your answer. I was supposed to give feedback for a Facebook ad, however, that option wasn't available on my Facebook profile.  

Daria A wrote:

Such jobs are not allowed. Think about it, It's basically fraud by manipulating Facebook's algorithms. Doing this violates both Facebook's and Upwork's terms of service.

Stay WELL clear of anything that involves leaving reviews, they are almost certainly forbidden. It's also obviously completely unethical.

Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated.

Did you do any work at all, even if it wasn't completing the job described? For example, did you perform searches on behalf of your client, review facebook pages, review any briefs the client may have provided after starting the contract or provide consultation? You could negotiate with the client for a very small payment to cover your time. Unless Upwork changed their policies recently (which is possible, as I've been too busy working to keep up to date with all of Upwork's communications), any contract closed with no money paid will affect your JSS. 

David S M wrote:

Did you do any work at all, even if it wasn't completing the job described? 

Those "jobs" are tiny "Go to this advert and leave feedback for it" - they are 1. forbidden and 2. there is nothing to negotiate payment for.

David S M wrote:

any contract closed with no money paid will affect your JSS. 

That changed last year. They no longer do.

I did some work, however, I have already ended the contract. Thanks. 

lizablau
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Daria A wrote:

So my question is what happens if I end the contract? Would I still be paid and how should I return that money? Is it better for me, that I end the contract or my client? Will this affect my JSS and can the client give me bad feedback

It is better for you to close the contracts, as the client may not leave (private) feedback that way. 

Wait, I'm confused about this. If I close a contract myself and return the escrow amount, can't the client still leave private feedback?  

petra_r
Community Member

Lisa B wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Daria A wrote:

So my question is what happens if I end the contract? Would I still be paid and how should I return that money? Is it better for me, that I end the contract or my client? 

It is better for you to close the contracts, as the client may not leave (private) feedback that way. 

Wait, I'm confused about this. If I close a contract myself and return the escrow amount, can't the client still leave private feedback?  

The client *CAN*. But the client might choose not to. If the client closes the contract, they *will* leave private feedback 100% of the time because they can't close the contract without doing so. So if she expects poor private feedback, the chance of getting it is 100% if the client closes the contract, and less than that if she does.

I meant "may" as in "maybe he won't" or "might not" rather than "is (not) allowed to do so".

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members