🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Changing from Manual Time to Time Tracker?
Page options
2e544a09
Community Member

Changing from Manual Time to Time Tracker?

Hello! 
Before I'm doing something wrong, I thought I'd ask here. 
So I started working on my current job (digital art), but for the first hours I tracked my time outside of upwork on my PC. So I added that time manually afterwards, not a problem. Now here's my question: Now that I know I should probably continue using the upwork Time Tracker instead (since it's an hourly thing), can I still do that now and that time will be added to my previously manually added time? 

Thanks in advance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ashrafkhan81
Community Member

Not unless you are willing to redo the entire task with the Time Tracker on, the new time tracked using the tracker will be added as a new entry, in addition to the manual hours, to the current date and time you actually worked. And then you will have to delete the manual hours! 

Even if you redo the task, it will not "convert" the manual time to time tracked entry. 

Manual time will get paid just as automatically tracked time in most cases. The only problem is that manual time is not covered by Upwork's hourly protection, and in case of a problem with the client's payment method, Upwork will not pay for Manual hours. Also, the client can dispute manual hours! 

It is always highly recommended to use the tracker! 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ashrafkhan81
Community Member

Not unless you are willing to redo the entire task with the Time Tracker on, the new time tracked using the tracker will be added as a new entry, in addition to the manual hours, to the current date and time you actually worked. And then you will have to delete the manual hours! 

Even if you redo the task, it will not "convert" the manual time to time tracked entry. 

Manual time will get paid just as automatically tracked time in most cases. The only problem is that manual time is not covered by Upwork's hourly protection, and in case of a problem with the client's payment method, Upwork will not pay for Manual hours. Also, the client can dispute manual hours! 

It is always highly recommended to use the tracker! 

Okay thank you, that pretty much answers my question. 🙂 

Next time I start a job I'll use the time tracker right from the start then.

data_divas
Community Member

If I'm understanding your question, yes you can start using the tracker which will add the time to the work diary even though you previously used manual time.  As long as the time does not overlap or isn't the same hours/days you are trying to add it shouldn't be a problem.  I have added manual time and used the tracker for the same job in the same week but not for the same time blocks.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members