🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Ended Contract Before I Could Bill for...
Page options
1c5e20fd
Community Member

Client Ended Contract Before I Could Bill for Hours

I have been working on an hourly contract for the past couple weeks. I was unable to track my hours via the UpWork tracker and was required to submit them seperately. I had come to an agreement with my client to log my hours via slack and then submit them on UpWork once completed. However, before I could submit my hours via UpWork, the client cancelled the contract and I have since been unable to contact the client and receive payment.

I understand that through UpWork, there may not be a reasonable solution due to the way hours are logged, however, I did do work for this client and have the hours logged via slack (reasonable proof), and so I am legally entitled to the payment determined via the contract. I am curious what routes UpWork has to solve this, or if I need to bring in a 3rd party to receive my payment. Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

I am sorry that you did not realize how things work.

The freelancer in this situation used Upwork incorrectly.

The client did nothing wrong.

Clients may end a contract at any time. Freelancers may end a contract at any time.

The client does not owe the freelancer any money.

This matter is over as far as Upwork is concerned.

It would be dishonorable and unprofessional for the freelancer to "bring in a third party."

The time to log manual hours is immediately after a work session. It is disrespectful to do otherwise.

How is it unprofessional to receive payment for work I completed? Your response makes no sense in the context. I literally state that I understand the misuse of UpWork, however, I still completed work and should thus be paid for it. If a third party is the way to receive this payment, then that is the route I am going.

It is a serious violation of Upwork TOS to exchange funds outside of the Upwork platform. If you were caught receiving money from this client, you could have your account permanently terminated from the platform.

Freelancers have been suspended simply for DISCUSSING off-platform payment.

But more importantly, you used the Upwork tool incorrectly and you are trying to blame somebody else for that.

Logging your time with the Upwork work diary is not complicated. It is the correct way to use Upwork.

You should not look to external systems to handle Upwork matters. You should work within the system. You would not like it if a client who hired you went to a "third party" in order to harass you. You should accord others the same respect and consideration.

There was no intention nor discussion of payment off-site from UpWork. I agree that the hourly logging system was used incorrectly, however, work was still completed, and I should thus be compensated for that work. Now, UpWork may not be legally able to compensate me for those hours due to the incorrect usage of the hourly logging system, however there are 3rd parties that would be able to assist in this matter. To state that a client would not like to be "harassed" is a true statement, however, the legal definition of harassment does not include "reaching out to receive payment for work completed." I have no intention of annoying or alarming the client, I am simply looking to receive the funds I worked for. This is a very reasonable solution to a simple issue of not getting paid for work completed. I now understand the importance of hourly logging through UpWork, as this is the only route via UpWork to receive the funds you worked for. That makes sense logically, and I understand that process.

Preston H wrote:

The client does not owe the freelancer any money.

Of course the client owes the freelancer money.  It's just not down to Upwork to do anything about it. The freelancer has every right to seek payment in some other way. Whether there is any point in doing so depends on a number of factors, including whether the client and freelancer are in the same jurisdiction.

Furthermore the work was not paid for, so it still belongs to the freelancer. If the work appears anywhere on the Internet, the freelancer could issue a takedown notice under DMCA.

It's entirely untrue that there is anything "dishonourable or unprofessional"when a professional is taking appropriate steps to get paid for work done and  you should really stop posting this complete untruth over and over.

JoanneP

Hi Logan,

Clients can decide to end a contract anytime. If your client is aware of the hours that you did not log in while working on the project, please reach out to your client about getting paid. They have the option to send you a bonus instead. 

To qualify for Hourly Protection, certain requirements must be met. You can check this help article for more information. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members