🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Should be Verified their Payment metho...
Page options
nafiulhasan05
Community Member

Client Should be Verified their Payment method before posting a job.

Well, It's 2019 and Upwork is making a great decision to make this platform more professional. So from now, every freelancer has to pay for submitting a job proposal that sounds ok. 
But why there is a way to post a job without verifying the client payment method? I think Upwork can change the way of the job posting. 
So my thought is,  Whenever client want to post a job in that time the client should verify his payment method and he/she need to fund a partial amount for the project. So we can make sure the client is serious about this job post and he/she is finding us. 
If Upwork makes this happen then, we don't need to waste our valuable time to read unnecessary job post and spend time to write a great proposal for that. 

what do you think?

Thanks

Regards 
Nafiul Hasan (Shopify Expert) 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tlsanders
Community Member

Md Nafiul H wrote:

But why there is a way to post a job without verifying the client payment method?

Because Upwork wants clients to post jobs on Upwork. So do successful freelancers. 

And, many sensible business people will avoid entering financial data into a new site where they don't even know whether they'll want to hire someone. Many clients who are new to Upwork post on several sites to see where they get the best responses. If Upwork forces them to enter credit card information, they'll just skip over it and use some of the dozens (hundreds?) of other options.

If you're interested in reading more about the reasoning and/or hear what clients who weighed in have said, search the forums. There are at least half a dozen long threads on this topic.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
rubelmahmud21
Community Member

I think so ... 

meticulousclippi
Community Member

Absolutely !!!  I am completly agree with this matter with you , as we are paying to make any proposal ,I really  appreciate if Upwork resolve these issue .

I am also agree in thig regard 

galibri
Community Member

It's high time, you wrote about this. I want to add something with you. Upwork needs new clients and new clients wont like to add a payment method before they really start a project. So, Upwork should follow some strategic way, like:

1. If clients post their first job and don't hire somebody for that posting, they wont be able to post another job without verifying their payment method.
  2. A client can stay in the market for a trial week without verifying their payment method, then they must add their payment method before accessing to post a job.
  3. Client without verified payment method can only invite a fixed small number of freelancers, and their job post will not be available for applying by freelancers. Invite only job posting for non-verified clients.

Here are some of my points that may be effectful for both the clients and the freelancers. It's a win-win case for all the users including Upwork itself.

What do you think?

prestonhunter
Community Member

Md Nafiul H:

This functionality ALREADY EXISTS.

For every job post, you can ALREADY SEE if a client is payment verified or not. Then YOU can decide to NOT apply to their job.

You DO NOT need to risk your connects on clients like that.

Look for this:

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 3.22.52 PM.png

verus this:

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 3.23.01 PM.png

But would you please allow those of us who choose to apply to non-payment-verified jobs to continue to do so?

Some of us earn a lot of money by applying to those clients' job postings, and we would like to continue to do so.

The truth of the matter, asking a client who is new to Upwork and not familiar to the site to put their crredit card information into a website they know nothing about and haven't decided to use yet... Well, it is a big ask and could potentially be the difference between posting a job and NOT posting a job. For many clients.

But once a client hears from me, if I apply to their job, then they will be eagy to enter their credit card information and become payment-verified.

Experienced, successful Upwork freelancers are NOT asking for every client to be required to be payment-verified before they can post a job.

Preston H, thanks for your valuable information.

How  do you count my previous reply?

tlsanders
Community Member

Md Nafiul H wrote:

But why there is a way to post a job without verifying the client payment method?

Because Upwork wants clients to post jobs on Upwork. So do successful freelancers. 

And, many sensible business people will avoid entering financial data into a new site where they don't even know whether they'll want to hire someone. Many clients who are new to Upwork post on several sites to see where they get the best responses. If Upwork forces them to enter credit card information, they'll just skip over it and use some of the dozens (hundreds?) of other options.

If you're interested in reading more about the reasoning and/or hear what clients who weighed in have said, search the forums. There are at least half a dozen long threads on this topic.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Md Nafiul,

Upwork has never addressed this issue, as far as I know.

Some posters here have said they are afraid fewer new clients will give Upwork a try if they have to enter their payment information before posting their first. They are probably right, and this might be true for many potential new clients, so a better solution might be to limit the number of jobs a client can post without submitting their new jobs for freelancer proposals. I don't know what the right number would be, but many freelancers have complained that no one is ever hired on too many of the jobs they make proposals on.

Now that Upwork is charging freelancer more just for submittnig proposals, Upwork needs to find a way to ensure fewer proposals are made to clients who have shown a penchant for not hiring through Upwork on the jobs they post.

Will L wrote:

Now that Upwork is charging freelancer more just for submittnig proposals, Upwork needs to find a way to ensure fewer proposals are made to clients who have shown a penchant for not hiring through Upwork on the jobs they post.

Upwork needs that? Has Upwork hired you on as a business advisor? If not, where did you derive the information that lets you understand and state the needs of this large corporation?

From what I've seen, it seems the only people perceiving this need are those who aren't really ready for freelancing, and so want Upwork to intrude further and further into our business relationships so they won't have to take responsibility for their own business decisions.

hasanmehdi89
Community Member

Completely agree.

There are thousands of job post where client is not serious or don't hire. The only consequence is hire rate. Upwork should place rules to control this. As from now freelancers will spend money to bid for job.

It will be very sad and neglectful to freelancers if Upwork don't address this asap.

We want a marketplace where freelancers and clients both side time and effort is respected.

Thank you

Absolutely right..

If the client doesn't hire the connects will be refunded back to you (eventually IF they close the job). Barriers to entry here are bad and thus adding an extra step like this to a customer is not in our best interests. As was stated, you can feel free to NOT apply to a client who has not verified their payment method. That will have the same effect as if they were never there. The rest of us can be free to make our own judgements about whether we want to use connects for clients who have not verified their payment method.  Seems like a win-win. 

sahidul79
Community Member

Strongly agreed..
nhakhand
Community Member

I  think so

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members