🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Testimonial not accepted
Page options
bf5d1a8b
Community Member

Client Testimonial not approved by UpWork

Hello
I'm joining what seems to be like a long line of freelancers whose testimonials from clients outside of UpWork have not been approved because the clients contact details 'could not be verified'. I provided both my client's email address and one of his two LinkedIn profiles (he is a professor at two separate universities.) A quick google search of his name will confirm that he is a renowned historian with several publications under his belt. My client was kind enough to take the time out of his busy schedule to write me a testimonial for the copy-editing work I did for him last year. The project was a major step forward for me in terms of my freelancing career. I am baffled as to why this testimonial was not approved and the fact that I have wasted my client's time with this, is embarrassing. I hope you can resolve this issue and approve the testimonial. Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Akbal,

We know many freelancers have worked with clients outside of Upwork and we want to give them an opportunity to showcase that on Upwork by getting testimonials from these clients. You can send requests to clients you've worked with in past.

To ensure the trust and quality in our marketplace, we can only approve testimonials from clients where we have sufficient evidence that the contact information is valid. In this case, we may not have been able to find sufficient information. 

You can use your profile overview or portfolio section to include endorsements and testimonials from people you worked with outside of Upwork. Make sure not to share any private or contact information.

~ Arjay
Upwork

View solution in original post

131 REPLIES 131

Hi Jovan,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork

If you have worked with him on Upwork, don't you have his feedback on Upwork already?

bf00625f
Community Member

Hi, Just thought of replying here instead of a starting a new thread.

I requested testimonials from two different clients, encouraged one to create a linkedin profile and other one was already on Linkedin. Yet my testimonials were rejected by Upwork. I know that the approval process cannot be disclosed, but I sincerely request Upwork team to manually review it because it is the only work I've done so far but the team is rejecting to approve those testimonials. 

Hi Fahad,

I am sorry to hear that your testimonial requests were not approved. It looks like we were unable to validate the contact information of your clients. You can try requesting another testimonial from a different client.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi Annie,

As I mentioned up there, These two clients are my only clients I've worked for till now and their testimonials are very valuable for me to secure more clients in future, I have no other clients which is why I cannot request testimonial from a different client. Can you please review those contact details again because I submitted the authentic details and that's how they ended up writing a testimonial for me right? I hope you can understand my scenario. 

Hi Fahad,

You can resubmit the testimonial request but please keep in mind that whatever the decision of the team will be, it's final and can't be undone.

~ AJ
Upwork

Alright. I will request them again but please convey your team about my present situation. Thanks alot!

Why don't you give us the exact reason for rejecting reviews?  I have people with verified linkedin accounts who were not approved in Upwork!!!!!!!!!

13f0ca69
Community Member

I am starting on upwork and two people kindly helped me with their testimonial. But both of them were rejected.

And the information I provided is valid. The name and LinkedIn profile, everything shows up online.

The problem is that you can only request one testimonial per person, regardless of whether it is accepted or rejected.

I don't ask you to share your verification method, but at least something for one to identify the error and request testimonials that are not going to be rejected.

Hi Daniel, 

I've shared your concern directly with the team handling the review. One of the team members will reach out with more information about the status of your Testimonial requests. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
3e8f9804
Community Member

Hi!

I had requested an Upwork client of mine to share a testimonial for the work I had picked up from Upwork. It was rejected without any details. The client's email ID and linkedin were in the given format. Kindly help with this issue.

Hi Mayukh,

I am sorry to hear that your testimonial requests were not approved. It looks like we were unable to validate the contact information of your clients. You can try requesting another testimonial from a different client.

~ AJ
Upwork
3c936fec
Community Member

So I worked with a guy off of the platform and asked him for a review through LinkedIn (you guys only other option). When he wrote his review you guys denied it and said you didn't have enough information. What other information do you guys need? I'm a bit lost. 

Hi Sadiah,

I apologize for the delayed response. We are currently checking this with our team. We'll update you here once we have more information. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
3c936fec
Community Member

Thank you so much. It was solved. 

That's great, Sadiah! Thanks for letting us know.

~ Joanne
Upwork
cindewakefield
Community Member

I sent a testimonial request for my referrel with thier linkedIin profile and company linkedIin.  They filled it in and now it got denied.  I have spent over 30 minutes with the bot and it keeps telling me to fill in a support ticket but there is no way to do it, and your bot does not help where to find this. I need to talk to someone to see how to get this approved - I need this for me Upwork future. Please help.

Hi Cinde,

I've shared your Testimonials concerns to the appropriate team for further review. One of the team members has reached out via email with more information and further assistance with your concerns. Don't hesitate to coordinate and they'll surely assist you accordingly.

~ Arjay
Upwork
10906f7f
Community Member

I hope this message finds you hale & hearty. Here I would like to express my concerns regarding the recent rejection of a testimonial from one of my esteemed clients. However,I sincerely appreciate the platform's effort to maintain high standards and integrity through its review system. But I still believe this decision might not fully reflect the genuine and professional relationship I've had with my client outside of Upwork. While keeping the confidentiality and the proprietary nature of your review process, I'm not asking a detailed review into the rejection. Instead, I humbly request a reconsideration of my client's testimonial. This testimonial is crucial for my profile as it accurately represents the quality of work and the professional relationship I genuinely keep with all my clients.I have a regular engagement with Deewesh Prasad on several professional research engagement and this will will hamper my genuine work outside upwork. Could you please provide a genuine guidance on how I might appeal this decision or submit additional evidence or information that could support my request for reconsideration? I am willing to comply with any additional verification or requirements you may have to ensure the testimonial's authenticity and alignment with Upwork's standards.Beacuse of this decision, i feel that my genuine effort in this area was badly derecognised and I am truly scared with your process which hardly gives any chance to prove my genuineness. Its like person has been hanged without any trial in the justice system. Moreover, I'm open to feedback on how to enhance my profile's compliance with Upwork's policies and ensure that future testimonials are accepted without issue. I believe that showcasing genuine testimonials from all my clients is integral to maintaining transparency and trust within the Upwork community. I'm looking forward to your guidance and assistance on this matter. Thank you for considering my request. I am committed to adhering to Upwork's policies and standards and appreciate the opportunity to resolve this issue amicably.

Hi Aditya,

I see that you replied to the support ticket regarding your Testimonial rejection. I'm sorry for any inconvenience that might've caused you. Kindly allow more time for the team to follow up with you and continue assisting you via your ticket. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
10906f7f
Community Member

Thanks for the message, I really appreciate it.I am looking for more transparent approach from Upwork.

99c1e23a
Community Member

Hi there I have requested a client tesimonial from a previous client of mine and received the email that it was not approved. I am happy to provide more evidence or whatever is needed to get the testimonial approved I just do not know who to contact or get in touch with. Thank you for your help! 

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Cameron,

To ensure trust and quality in our marketplace, we can only approve testimonials from clients when we have sufficient evidence that the contact information is valid. In this case, we may not have been able to find sufficient information. You can try requesting another from a different client.

~Andrea
Upwork
cindewakefield
Community Member

One of my clients off of upwork submitted a nice testimonial for me.  I gave all the information that you requested and everything is perfect and clear.  I have been working with him for over 2 years. You declined his testimonial. This is the second time that you have done this and after a support request you posted the last one.  I guess we have to do this again.  I pay a premium for my membership and struggling to get work and I need my testimonials to help gain work.  Could you please relook at the submital and either tell me what is wrong with it or please post.  
Thank you!

Hello,

I'm having the same issue as well. My client has a Linkedin profile but the testimonial was declined. I would like to know the basis of the decision that was made not to approve the testimonal of Crystal Cunningham. I have worked with her for the past two years on a podcast. In addition, I’ve done drone work for the church we both attend. How can I work with you to resolve this issue? It’s especially important to me, since I have not had any work through Upwork and need potential clients to know that I have the talent and skills to do the work I apply for. 

Hi Cinde and Adam,

To ensure trust and quality in our marketplace, we can only approve testimonials from clients when we have sufficient evidence that the contact information is valid. In this case, we may not have been able to find sufficient information. You can try requesting another from a different client.

~Andrea
Upwork
99c1e23a
Community Member

I understand you are just doing your job but these responses are really quite unhelpful. They offer no opportunity for the problem to be solved and I wish Upwork would pay more attention to this area of their product as us freelancers are providing all we can and offered no opportunity to work with Upwork to get these approved even though they are real client work.  

28ea9c5f
Community Member

Thanks for the reply, I’ve seen the same reply in several different places. Unfortunately, I don’t have a bunch of customers who have LinkedIn, so sending out another request really won’t work for me. I’d like to request that someone from the Upwork team reach out to me and help resolve the issue.

Hi Adam,

I understand where you're coming from, and I'm sorry we couldn't approve your Testimonial request. I want to clarify that we have tools and a system in place to review and check the validity of the testimonials. To better ensure the integrity of our review, we do not share the details of our process. We appreciate your understanding and apologize for how this outcome may inconvenience you.

I want to take the opportunity to encourage you to visit our Upwork Academy page. You'll find several courses that can help you learn all of the basics on Upwork to increase your chances of landing jobs with your potential clients.

In addition, you can also sign up for upcoming events and webinars that are sure to boost your success on Upwork.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
09a9e977
Community Member

Hi,

After requesting a testimonial from one of my clients (Outside Upwork), they kindly provided it. However, Upwork rejected the testimonial without providing a clear reason. I was informed that Upwork's policy prohibits disclosing reasons for such rejections, and furthermore, I was prohibited from asking the same client for another testimonial. I find this puzzling. Even if the testimonial violated Upwork's terms and conditions, I believe it should be permissible to request a testimonial from the same bona fide client. I offered to share the client's contact details so Upwork could verify the testimonial directly, but this offer was not accepted.

Can anyone help me with this? How to get Testimonials from my genuine Clients without getting the same rejection by Upwork?

Tx

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

8274f87f
Community Member

Im having the same issue my client took time out of her busy day to write a testimonial because she liked my work. It was sent right to her bussiness email and I provided her personal linkedin page. Upworks support is useless it seems no explanation given as to why it was rejected other than the standard email . What the point of them if they just get rejected?

bb6127a1
Community Member

Hi, I also experienced a similar problem. I requested for a testimonial from my previous colleague since she previously hired me to create a digital graphic design for a car show. My colleague (client) really allotted a time just to submit her testimonial to Upwork. Minutes after she submitted it, it was not approved by Upwork saying that the platform does not have sufficient evidence that the contact information was valid even though I provided my client's LinkedIn profile link. With that being said, I am also wondering the same thing, how can I provide sufficient or additional evidence? 

Thanks in advance!

36a229dc
Community Member

Dear Upwork Team,

Today, I changed my profile name . Old name on my account was ( Attia Farooq )  but even now my profile is at same name as it my take a few days to reset to new name Safia B. I requested a testimonial from my client outside of upwork but after hat I changed my profile's name as when I get to know about fiverrr terms and policies regarding name that it should be legal. After that client give me testimonial but I received an email for which I attached the screenshot below. Kindly tell me how can I get that Client's Testimonial because that was of very high importance. And kindly tell me when will be my new account name be approved. I want to ask that I didn't get testimonial as I changed my profile name . That's the reason or anything else. Kindly let me know. Anyone who view my message can respond me and share your thoughts . Thank you.

Anxiously waiting for your reply, 

Best Regards,

Safia B 

36a229dc_0-1711866407612.png

Hi Attia,

I checked your account but I was not able to see any request to change your name. To change your name please go to Settings > Contact Info to edit your name.

~ Joanne
Upwork
a1b19ab6
Community Member

Dear Upwork Community Members, 

I am a fresher on the Upwork platform and trying to build credibility through profile building, where I understand that the testimonial is an important step. I am writing to express my disappointment regarding the recent rejection of a couple of testimonial requests.

Please note, I do not have clients on Upwork to provide testimonials, however, I do have over a decade of experience from my previous roles and have worked with different teams. Despite the genuine nature of the testimonials and the valuable time that my clients/ex-colleagues have taken from their busy schedules to provide them, it is disheartening to see them not being considered valid. The LinkedIn profiles provided as evidence of our professional relationships are authentic. I can also share links to the websites wherein our names are listed in the committee list which can also showcase the authenticity for the testimonials. Requesting a reconsideration of my testimonial request.

Thank you for your attention and understanding.

I sincerely hope for a positive reconsideration.

Available for any further information you may require.

Hi Dolly,

I am sorry to hear that your previous Testimonials were not approved. To ensure trust and quality of our marketplace, we can only approve testimonials from clients where we have sufficient evidence that the contact information is valid. In this case, we may not have been able to find sufficient information. You can try requesting another from a different client.

- Pradeep

Upwork
ee4e844b
Community Member

My proposal wasn't approved, and I'm willing to provide Upwork with proof and receipts if needed.

My client is too busy to provide testimonials for me. It's been a recurring issue if Upwork doesn't approve them. What's the use of asking for testimonials if they're not approved? If you need anything from me to speed up or help the approval process, let me know, and I'll provide it.

43231b76
Community Member

I sent a client not on upwork a recommendation email which he submitted but hasn't reflected on my freelance Upwork profile

To resolve this issue, I recommend the following steps:

1. Follow up with the client: Reach out to the client and inquire if they successfully submitted the recommendation on Upwork. They may have forgotten, encountered technical difficulties, or mistakenly submitted it to the wrong profile.

2. Verify Upwork guidelines: Make sure that the recommendation meets Upwork's guidelines and requirements for being displayed on your profile. Recommendations must be written by clients who have hired you through Upwork and should address your skills and work experience.

3. Contact Upwork support: If the recommendation still doesn't appear on your profile after following up with the client and ensuring it meets Upwork's guidelines, reach out to Upwork support for assistance. They can investigate the issue and provide guidance on how to resolve it.

By taking these steps, you should be able to address the problem of the recommendation not showing on your freelance Upwork profile.

Sometimes it takes 24 hour processing to appear.

Make sure the client truly submitted and there was not an error message.

Otherwise click the Support link above with a client screenshot of the submission.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members